When to plant asiatic lilies in zone 4-5

highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)September 15, 2006

I am totally ignorant when it comes to bulbs, so forgive me if this is a no brainer. I was thinking about planting some asiatic lilies ('Corrida'?) on the west side of the house, and wasn't sure if I should do it in the fall or the spring. Any tips on planting would be helpful. Also, what are your favorites in the peach/rust/creme colors (not the bright orange ones)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azngrnthumbs

Fall is probably the best time to plant, but the best selection is typically found in the spring when dutch suppliers inundate the market with endless varieties. Either way, they'll do well regardless of when they're planted in fall or spring.

Planting is pretty easy. Just be sure to select a site that has good sun, good drainage, has some organic matter worked into the soil when you plant. Most bulbs go down 4-6 inches deep. The larger the bulb, the deeper it goes down vise versa.

Check out the webpage below to see a nice assortment of garden lilies in the color range you're thinking about.

Best of luck and happy fall or spring lily planting!

R

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lily Garden Peach Colored Asiatics

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 4:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilium_guy56

zone 4 here. You can plant Lilies in either fall or spring but you will get better first year growth by planting in the fall. Some may not flower the first year if you plant in spring. I don't think I have a favorite in your colors. But my favorite is the very dark red ones and the huge trumpets. A great Lily is "nippon" and is an ivory colored with a maroon border and yellow streaks with a 9" flower but only 16" tall. I believe only "DUTCH GARDENS" has it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™