Snap Bean Succession Planting

drloydSeptember 24, 2013

Here in the PNW we can't grow Lima beans or many of the long season common beans apart from growing them in a greenhouse. But we can more or less reliably keep ourselves supplied with pole snaps all of August through the end of October. Earlier if we grow bush snaps or start Emerite in pots.

Perhaps it is my Appalachian ancestry, but I consider full beans - beans that are eaten when the seeds are mature - to be superior to ordinary green beans. So the goal is to have full beans available every day for as much of the season as possible. Here is what I did for snap bean succession this year. They were all planted about June 1. Emerite and Fortex were enjoyed until the Aunt Jean's kicked in.

Emerite
Fortex
Aunt Jean's (good until they are yellow and starting to dry)
Anellino Giallo (good until they start to dry)
Red Eye Greasy/Hazard Fall/Leslie Tenderpod
Tobacco Worm (good until they are yellow and starting to dry)
White Simpson Greasy (good until they are yellow and starting to dry)
North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort (good until they are yellow and starting to dry) - Dick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drloyd

Aunt Jean's held up under our unusual September torrential rains while Tobacco Worm plants died. For those with moderate temperature summers but limited space who want to try full beans, Aunt Jean's could be planted in peat pots for an early crop that will last most of the summer and direct seed some more in late June for a fall crop.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™