how deep to plant martagon lilies

jeannette_wi(z4WI)October 6, 2007

I just received an order of martagon lilies but it didn't come with planting directions. How deep do you plant them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I wasn't able to find any specific planting depth for martagons. I think when I planted mine I followed the "3 times the height of the bulb" rule of thumb. If you have a two inch bulb it should be covered with 6 inches of soil. Remember that martagons often sulk for a year after planting. You may get only the basal whorled leaves showing next spring, you may not see any growth at all until the following spring. Martagons are really a test of your faith.

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 10:33AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

FYI, planting depth, unless otherwise noted, is from the soil surface to the base of the bulb (or bottom of the hole). Planting deeper than is recommended is no big deal, as long as there is still drainage and good soil in that depth of soil. Six inches or eight inches will not make a difference. Remember also, that martagons do not have stem roots. All roots are from the base of the bulb. Consequently, it is more important with these lilies (compared with Asiatic and Trumpets) that good soil is below the bulb.

Bookmark   October 13, 2007 at 10:02PM
chrissy_ns

Hi!

What type of soil do you plant bulbs in and should I add bonemeal? Also wondering about amount of sun needed for them.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™