Snowcap bean?

ernie_tnSeptember 7, 2008

If anyone has grown this bean I would appreciate any information you could give me on it. One web site said the vines grow about 5 feet and another said they grow about 10 feet. I would like to have a general idea of what to expect from them. I plan to get the seed from Victory Seed. Thanks.

Ernie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

All I know about this one, is that it is a pole bean (dry shelling type) with a relatively short (6- 8 foot) vine.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 2:20PM
drloyd

I am growing Snowcaps on 8 foot poles that have 1-1/2 feet in the ground and 6-1/2 feet above. Some of the plants did not quite reach the tops fo the poles. Others went up to 2 feet above the tops and then entwined with vines from neighboring poles.

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 11:28AM
ernie_tn

Thanks for the info. That's what I need to know.

Ernie

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:31AM
jimster(z7a MA)

I ran across this source, with pic, for seeds. They list it as a pole bean. They give Snowcap a good recommendation.

I have ordered from Victory and consider them a good seed company. It's a family run outfit. They have a lot of varieties that interest me, both beans and other veggies.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowcap Beans at Victory Seeds

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:51PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Look at the pic of Papa De Rola (aka Dove's Breast) beans linked below. Don't they look a lot like Snowcap?

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Papa De Rola Beans at Baker Creek

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 10:07PM
drloyd

We have been steaming some of our shelly beans in the pods and serving them that way. Sometimes the pods are edible (apart from the strings).

Tonight some of the Snowcap beans were plumping up so I tried it with them. The seeds were just starting to show their colors. The shellies are very good, but the pods are very fibrous. Better to shell them first. It looks like they may make a crop for us.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
Perplexed by these peas!
Please help me save these peas! I was gifted germinating...
winorchids
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™