My collection of mice. Revisited

W3CSX(7 MD)June 22, 2014

Last month you may recall I started this project to document my mouse ears collection. Every month I plan to re-photo the collection. Just for the sake of comparison. We can keep track of how the colors progress though out the session. This also should help distinguish the differences between the varieties. Please feel free to add photos of your own. Especially if you have any sports I do not have in my collection.

If you missed last months report. Here is a link to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: My collection of mice (May 22)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
W3CSX(7 MD)

Blue Mouse Ears. At least 5 flower buds ready to do their thing.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 9:55PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Frosted Mouse Ears. I think the color has gotten better.
Sorry the tag is a little out of focus.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 9:57PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Holly Mouse Ears. Again the colors are more vibrant.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 9:58PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Green Mouse Ears

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 9:59PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Royal Mouse Ears. This guy has gotten much bigger in the last month. But look at how the variegation shifts through out the plant.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:01PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Calico Mouse Ears. The color of this has shifted a little. last month it was much lighter. Almost a white especially compared to Royal M.E. Now the colors are much closer. I still like Calico over Royal.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:04PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Mighty Mouse. Very cute one. A must if you are only going to get a few.

This post was edited by W3CSX on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 23:06

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:06PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Pure Heart. Mighty Mouse's polar opposite. The color is not as rich. Not as thick of a leaf as other BME sports.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:09PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Itty Bitty. By far the smallest of the BME group. The variegation is slowly shifting. Same Eye but each new leaf comes out greener than the last.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:12PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Mighty Moe. The color is still there but look at the green speckles that are dotting the yellow center. Very Handsome.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:16PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Blue Mouse Ears Supreme. The giant little one. Same gold streak as Royal M.E. But larger leaf and faster grower. Look how the leaf is overtaking the label. Compare that to last months photo. My favorite of the streakers.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:21PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Cat and Mouse. Last month I reported it smaller then last year. Apparently it was just getting started. It has grown out to be as big as last years. Still showing a fare amount of the yellow ghosting. By next month I'm sure it will be all green.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:24PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Just a over head shot of Cat and Mouse. Just to show the subtle yellow center.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:27PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Giantland Sunny Mouse Ears. Its Coming Back! A victim of frost heave this past winter. It had just started to sprout the day or two be for last months report. The poor thing still not as good as last year. But considering two months ago I almost written her off. I think she is doing well.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:36PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Church Mouse. The plant seen here is a new planting. Only about a week in the ground. This is my second Church Mouse. The first one was planted late last fall. It too frost heaved on me. Much like Sunny M.E. did. Unfortunately the winter spent on top of the ground was too much for the first one to make it.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:43PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Snow Mouse. Yet another to get better color as the spring progressed.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:45PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Mini Skirt. Lots of growth since last month. the leaves have straiten out a little. Not as curly as I had imagined. But an unexpected surprise. Check out the two tone look of the newer leaves vs. the older ones. I hope this keeps this up through out the summer. This kind of reminds me of Appletini and how that hosta keeps pushing leaves up all summer. The newer leafs are yellow and older ones fade to a green apple. Giving it a multi layered look.

This post was edited by W3CSX on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 23:00

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:52PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Giantland Mouse Cheese. Same color as last month. Hoping it stays that way all summer.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:54PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Flamenco Mouse. Not much change here. Got to love the ruffles.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:55PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Thanks for documenting the changes throughout the growing season.

I lost my Pure Heart to squirrels last year. I have Snow Mouse and it is a honey. Very strong grower for me.It shares a bowl with two other mini hostas.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:56PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Field Rat. Not too much change here either. Not too sure how this is going to fit in with the rest of the B.M.E. clan. She is starting to look like she will grow much larger then all the others.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:58PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

New this Month. Ruffled Mouse ears. She is much like other curly leaf sports. Only not as twisted. I would call it "ruffled" to Church Mouse's "curly" leaves. I'm really interested in seeing how these compare to each other.

This post was edited by W3CSX on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 23:11

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 11:03PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

That is it for now. Hope I'm not boring everyone with this.

Jason

This post was edited by W3CSX on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 23:02

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 11:05PM
hostahosta

Enjoy seeing your mice. I have just a couple, BME and Mighty Mouse. Lost Frosted last winter. Seeing what yours (and mine) do will help me decide whether to expand my collection.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 10:43AM
hostas_for_barb

Thanks for posting your lovely pics. I didn't realise there were so many mice!

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 12:04AM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

You certainly have a big beautiful collection, didn't know there were so many. I've only got a few - Holy Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Blue ME, and Church Mouse. Cat and Mouse and Snow Mouse are sure tempting.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 3:23AM
Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.

Jason, thanks for the pictorial. Do you have any more info on 'Field Rat', the usual info sources do not list it.

Pieter

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 9:47AM
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

Jason, your Mouse collection is quite extensive...I also wasn't aware of so many being available! That Field Rat is appropriately named as far as size-comparator goes. Lol

I have a beautiful set of (4 divisions-from one plant I've had since 2008) BME and a HME so far. I was astonished at the growth from last year to this...last eye count settled at 37 compared to 11 last year. Now THAT'S a leap we all love to experience. There are a lot of flower scapes poking their heads up already!

I really enjoyed looking at your progress pictures. Featuring each one separately allows the viewer time to appreciate details without distraction.
Thank you for sharing your lovely Mouse collection! :-)

Jo

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 10:19AM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Field Rat is actually a sport of Flamenco Mouse. It and Flamanco are available through Hallson's Perennials. Both where made available just this year. Field Rat has few similarities to Blue Mouse Ears. The substance is thick but thinner then most other "Ears". It has a much pointier leaf. The plant is also growing much faster then any other mice I have. I expect Hallsons suspicion of it growing much larger then B.M.E. to be correct.

I think it looks much like H. Blue Cadet the parent of Blue Mouse Ears. Hallson's description on Field Rat says the blooms will be dark purple like Flamenco but taller and shaped differently. I will know more about this once it blooms for me. So far no flower buds.

Jason

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 10:53PM
W3CSX(7 MD)

Almost forgot. I wanted to add the link to Field Rat in my last post

Here is a link that might be useful: Field Rat:

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
i will miss the freak
phil the hostafreak passed on 12/4 ... an aneurysm...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™