Can you interplant between Asiatics & Orientals?

brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)October 27, 2009

Need something to compensate for when theyÂre done blooming but still have stalks. Especially at the end of the season when I have big patches of ugly dying stalks.

Something that can compete with the shade the lily foliage creates because my plants are 5Â tall and foliage is very lush. Something that might start blooming anytime, but want it to continue into fall. And preferably something tall.

Any suggestions? (Zone 7/8 on VA east coast near beach  HOT & HUMID but not much rain)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I actually fit in lilies anywhere in my garden among other plants, be it perennials, other bulbs or shrubs. In fact, I just insert a bulb anywhere I can insert my trowel. :-D
I have lilies of all heights from 10" to 7' among my shrubs and perennials.

I got some tall lilies between my hedge and hydrangea 'Annabelle'. You can plant them by some tall ornamental grass.
I like them near shorter plants too to make the lilies stand out.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 7:20PM
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Thanks ! I'm mainly looking for names of plants, 18" to 36", that are colorful. Victoria Salvia has done well in other areas but not tried around lilies. Something purple or blue, deep red or burgandy?? Anything but more orange and yellow :o) Any ideas??

My whole garden is wide open now because I've dug everything up due to overcrowding, including lilies. So I'm open for suggestions.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 10:26PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Try posting your question on the Perennials site. Someone there can likely recommend some plants to grow with your lilies.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 11:30PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Ideas from my gardenÂ

asters: still short when the lilies bloom, will get tall enough to cover the browning stems. Asters can be floppy, though, so might need to stake or support them with more than just the lily stems doing the job.

Dahlias, ditto. I find I can use the same stake I used for the tall lilies, just move the twist-tie over to the dahlia stem.

A lucky find: I grew a Rozanne geranium, and found it twined in and out of all the plants. I wrapped a tendril around a lily stem and let it grow up! Blue flowers, a nice change from lily colors.

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™