Asiatic Lilies: What do seeds look like & how do you grow them?

marbree(z5 MI)October 3, 2006

Hi

I have an Asiatic Lily with a seed pod on it. The parent plant is starting to yellow and the seed pod is turning purple. I've never done these before and so I don't know what to expect.

1. What are the fully developed seed pods and seeds supposed to look like?

2. How do you grow the seeds?

I know that they will take many years until they bloom. It's a cross with my old bright yellow and a pale pink with dark pink stripes.

3. Can I expect something nice from this cross?

The pollen isn't from one of my plants, so I want to try to do them right.

Thanks

Marbree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilium_guy56

Well welcome to mystery land. I've cross pollenated my own Lilies before and gotten some real ugly looking things and some real nice ones. Most have been done before. The seeds can be removed and planted as soon as the pod starts to get "crunchy" or hard. This may require a daily check otherwise it may fall and split before you get them. Seems this happened on a windy night all too often to me so now I put a baggie around it. The seed color varies. I've had black, green, yellow and shades of those, however it doesn't seem to matter much if i'm a little too early or late. Mine have never bloomed the first year, may bloom some the 2nd and full size plants by the 4th year from seeds. There is no gaurantee the new color will stay that way thru coming generations. If you are trying to get a brand new variety like I am it seems very difficult. I thought I had one 9 years ago. I crossed a dark yellow with a Stargazer and got a Lily with a dark yellow base and a light pink brush with dark pink spots. It resembled "TOM PUCE" but with spots. After 3 generations of it I send it in and found someone had done it before. You can expect a surprise. I've planted the seeds inside (after 3 weeks in freezer) and let them grow all winter. And I've just let them lay on the ground all winter. They grow either way. Lilies are not very fussy about it. My current cross involves Lilium "NEGRE" (a very dark red) and "CASABLANCA". We'll see what I get. Take the seeds and plant a few in various ways just to be sure. GOOD LUCK to you. And you can name it LILIUM "MARBREE".

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 7:08PM
intercessor

Hi,
Try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily from seed

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 1:03AM
marbree(z5 MI)

Thank you both for the advice, it was very helpful, I will try to save the seeds for the spring and see if I can do it.

Just a note, though, on the link (Absolutely Wonderful!!) they say to use captan, but on the rose forums they suggest using 10-15% commercial hydrogen peroxide solution in water (1 tablespoon store bought hydrogen peroxide per 1 cup of water). It does help to prevent dampoff in roses.

Marbree

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Please help me grow this Lily plant?
I have had this Lily for a long while. Very rarely...
Fathim_Zazu
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™