LA hybrids in the desert?

tugbrethilOctober 7, 2009

I have had good luck growing Asiatic lilies here in the oven of North America, and L. longiflorum even does well enough in the right soil and microclimate, but I have had a hard time getting sensible info on how the LA hybrids do in really hot climates. The growers all tell me things like "they do fine here" (coastal California) or "they love them in Georgia". I would like something to help me decide where and how to plant them here. Info from areas with seriously hot summers, say central Florida, southwest Texas, southern Arizona, southeastern California, even eastern Oregon would be extremely welcome! Thank you! : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tugbrethil

Aww, c'mon, hasn't anyone tried to grow these in a hot climate?! How about the southern Central Valley of California? Or a little inland from the Gulf Coast? Anywhere? Please help! : )

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 4:25PM
stompoutbermuda(Z8DesertSunsetZ11)

I am following you around :) I would like to know the answers too. You might should post in each region you mentioned above and see what people say? Please keep me informed. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 4:52PM
tugbrethil

Hey there, stomp! Check out the response from the folks in the lower Rio Grande Valley on the Texas Gardening forum ("LA lilies in hot climates?") Mostly they recommend them on the strength of the fact that Easter lilies work there, 'though one seems to have gotten some LA's by accident--and they're working out! Will provide more info as available. : ])

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™