Finding 3 similar JM'S

greenhavenrdgardenJanuary 3, 2013

I would like to plant 3 different Japanese maples. Dwarf or small size trees. Any color or leaf shape is fine (and I hope I can find 3 with varying leaves) but I want the 3 trees to have similar shape/size/silhouettes. When I google the trees I see close up pics of the leaves or young trees. I'm having a hard time figuring out what these trees grow into.
The trees will be in part sun. A somewhat protected site. The only shape I am not interested in planting is a wide weeping tree. I'm in zone 6a/b (right on the line). In general JM's do excellent here.
Does anyone here have any suggestions of trees with different leaf shapes or colors but similar silhouettes and size?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhavenrdgarden

To clarify this a little, there is a house nearby that has 3 mature JM's across the front of their property. The trees all have different leaves and I find them to be stunning. The first 2 are vase shaped-1green 1red. The 3rd is an upright tree and also stunning but ever time I drive by I think how much nicer they would look if all three had the same shape. It's almost like looking at a smile with a wonky tooth-just a little off.
I want to copy this house but use 3 trees with similar shapes.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Happy New Year!!

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 8:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Although I don't share your need to have three trees that all look very similar in form - half the desirability of a collection of JM's is the range of variables in their appearance - with the zillions of cultivars on the market, I can't imagine it would be difficult to find three that did share a very similar growth habit. I'd suggest visiting your best Japanese maple nursery in your area this spring once the new trees come in and find three that fit your needs. Up close and personal is always the best way to pick trees for specific attributes, rather than by mail order or long distance.

You should also be aware that growth habits are not always cast in concrete. These are living organisms afterall and as such, growing conditions can greatly influence the manner of growth and appearance. It's not like you are picking out furniture...........nor should you want it to be :-)

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Kelp treatment effective for sugar maple?
One of our mature sugar maples has been struggling...
ruckusev
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Sponsored Products
Limoges Collection Flared Waves 6 3/4" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
ELK Lighting Calais 311 Bathbar - 21W in. - 31164/3
$222.00 | Hayneedle
Oriental Medallion Red Oval Area Rug (5'3 x 6'10)
Overstock.com
Hunter 12 in. Extension Downrod Harvest Wheat 28976
$11.67 | Home Depot
White End Table Lamp: 1-Light 26 in. Table Lamp White Finish White Fabric Shade
Home Depot
Safavieh Hand-made Oushak Beige/ Green Hand-spun Wool Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Full/Queen Paisley Duvet Cover 88" x 92" - INDIGO (FULL/QUEEN)
$995.00 | Horchow
Wynnsboro 7 3/4" High Silver LED Outdoor Up and Downlight
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™