Moving Casa Blanca

susanlynne48(OKC7a)October 23, 2005

Hi, everyone. I have several asiatics, orientals, formosanum, cardiocrinum, that I grow, but when I first began growing several years ago, I made a boo boo and planted a Casa Blanca in the front garden, which has since grown up around it. I really need to move it to a more "prominent" location where it will get more sun, and I can actually "see" it. I always smell it. The fragrance is undeniably sweet.

Now it's fall and everything is dying back around it, and I wondered if now would be a good time to dig it up. I'm afraid if I wait until spring, I won't have the stalk to remind me of the location.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pardalinum(z8 PNW)

Just dig down around it and lift the whole thing with the soil around the roots and poke it back in where you want it. Give it a drink to encourage the roots into the new soil. Not much different from moving any perennial in the fall. Just be careful you don't slice into the bulb. I just hate the sound of that "crunch"!

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 3:19PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Okay, will make the attempt. I have always heard that you should dig at least 8-12" away from the stem because the bulb may not be directly under the stem?? Is this sound advice?

Susan

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 6:43PM
pardalinum(z8 PNW)

Yes, dig a little ways out from the stem. If the stem accidently breaks off, don't worry. Just go ahead and replant the bulb and mark where it is.

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 7:47PM
mysticmoon(z9.So.Cali)

Oh this well be great cause you can give the new spot lots of new soil with new nutrients for a great bloom next year. I would think Vitamine B1 would also be a good idea.
Good luck I hope it goes well for you

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 1:15AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Thanks, Mysticmoon. B1 - is that a Schultz product? Seems I've heard of it, but it's been awhile ago.

Susan

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
Pardalinum...looking for seeds
You didn't leave a way to email you re the martagon...
mxracer264
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
What flòwer is this?
I think that this flower is some kind of lily?
kgibbs25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™