Getting rid of Tiger Lilies

buggyIA(z4 IA)October 5, 2005

We moved into our new house that has basically no landscaping except this huge patch of Tiger Lilies that takes up about a 5'X10' section of our back yard. It looks terrible! There has to be about 150 to 200 bulbs in that section. Is there any way to kill them without having to dig them all up? Thanks for your help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joeypack(8 Ark/Tx)

Whyu would you not want these? They are so beautiful! You can always trade them. If you want to get rid of any, email me. Joey

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 9:51AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Yes - I would either dig them up and offer them to other gardeners who would love to have them, or put an ad at a local garden center, grocery store, newspaper, a place where gardening clubs meet - often there is a lily or daylily club, that would come and dig them up in return for keeping the bulbs themselves.

Susan

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 8:36PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

If these are what you want to remove, I would love to have them - in fact a lot of people would love to have them. It took me years to grow them from tiny bulbils and build up a collection. They are gorgeous in summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger Lilies

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 8:41AM
mtgirl(z5WPA)

I sure would be glad for some also and would trade or pay shipping

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 2:39PM
mysticmoon(z9.So.Cali)

I would love to have some too. Even if you tried to kill them all you would succeed in is killing the fans the roots would keep growing so you would still have to dig them up in the end. Soak the area and use a pitch fork style garden tool to lift out all the root system. Then Trade away.
Ask for postage or for plants you want instead....
Can you keep us all in mind please?

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 12:08AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Are you talking about bulb lilies or the orange wild daylilies? A huge stand of the bulb lilies (such as shown in Pitimpanai's link) would be fabulous.

If it was the orange daylily that would be less fabulous...as Mysticmoon says, you have to keep digging them. I have an area I cleared earlier this year (the daylilies). Baby fans keep popping up. I was expecting this, though. Periodically I soak the ground and go in with a skinny tool and uproot them. Eventually I will locate and remove all the tiny tubers.

I wouldn't do a major overplanting in this area for a year if it IS a stand of daylilies you are removing. If it is bulb lilies I think a stray one or two would not be that hard to get out later.

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 11:10AM
mysticmoon(z9.So.Cali)

linnea56 if you keep having babies pass them around for postage lol... I bet you will find new homes for them.

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 12:37AM
candisu

I also have a TON of these in my back yard and it's so overgrown that it just looks ugly now. I am also trying to figure out how far down I have to dig in order to get them out. I will definitely give them away to people that want them because I know they can be very pretty. I am in no way experienced with gardening (I think the last time I planted something it was in 5th grade for Mother's Day), but I fully intend to at least learn how to make that area look better.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 2:00PM
nanny56(IN 5b)

OOOO, I would love some, IF they lily bulbs. Not interested in any orange DAYLILY though.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 11:32PM
ering2121_gmail_com

you can put outdoor carpet over them with a loads of dirt on top then take dirt and carpet off later hopefully their gone

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 1:00PM
colcol(5a)

If you are still willing to dig, pack, and mail some, I would be very happy for some and would most definately reimburse you for postage or pay postage before you mail them. Or I can offer iris for trade if you are interested.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 1:56PM
colcol(5a)

If you are still willing to dig, pack, and mail some, I would be very happy for some and would most definately reimburse you for postage or pay postage before you mail them. Or I can offer iris for trade if you are interested.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 2:00PM
kprp(6)

This lily carries disease, I'd be careful about filling up my yard with them if you have other lilies.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 1:26AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Put them on Craig's List, people will come dig them from you.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 11:38AM
grullablue(5)

I would love to see a pic! Do you have one?

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Replanting Lilies
Hello. I am new to this. ;) I need to replant my lilies...
raimisx9
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™