Vigna Caracalla versus Phaseolus Caracalla

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaSeptember 19, 2011

It seems both of these are called snail vine but one's fragrant and one isn't. I bought seed for what is supposed to be the fragrant one last year, Phaseolus Caracalla the 'Corkscrew Vine', supposable the fragrant one. I wintered the vine (only one seed germinated) in a cool greenhouse and it looks like it has a few flower buds coming so I moved it back into the greenhouse, maybe I'll get to see which one I really have soon.

Is Vigna Caracalla the unscented 'Snail Vine' and Phaseolus Caracalla the scented 'Corkscrew Vine'? Has anyone ever sorted this out.

Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

After some searching I think Vigna Caracalla is the scented 'Corkscrew Vine'. The flowers are totally different on these two vines, so the unscented one must be the snail vine.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 4:15PM
rodger(8SC)

I meant to do some research on this but I can to a dead end. I will say this. I have it growing and I have the fragrant one. I bought my original plaqnt from Monticello. Jefferson's Monticello is where I originally saw this plant and the aroma is sensed long before the plant is seen. I have had mine 5 years and each year it produces more blooms and the intensity of the fragrance also increases. So I would suggest you order from them because I knoww it is fragrant. They also root very easily and mine produces a small amount of seed each year. Rodger

Here is a link that might be useful: Vigna Caracalla

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:59AM

Thanks Roger, I did a crosspost on the vine forum and think I've got it sorted out now. The right name for the fragrant one is Vigna Caracalla according to this.... I have to wait a bit to see which one I actually have.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Corkscrew or Snail

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™