Envy Soybeans...how to cook

kissingfrogs2003September 10, 2011

I tried growing Envy soybeans (aka edamame) this summer and much to my surprise i just had my first harvest!!!

I ended up with about 1 cup of beans (pretty good for a first timer)...

Now, what on earth do I do to cook these!!! I like them like you get in asian resturants OR shelled on salads...if that helps at all.

Any guidence is much appreciated :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindy-eatonton

Congratulations! Nice harvest! I grew some last year and only got a small batch, so didn't try them again this year. Your photos make me wish I did! I boiled water in a pan - ~3 cups. Then when it's boiling, throw in the edamame and cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on how done you like yours. I like mine crunchy still, so only go about 3.5 minutes. Drain them and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt or kosher salt and enjoy!

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:28PM
kissingfrogs2003

Thanks for the help!

Out of curiosity, do soybean plants give more than one round of beans or should I pull them up and start more seedlings while I can...

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 4:22PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I've never had edamame soybeans rebloom after harvest... and even if they did, chances are that the new pods would not mature before Fall. Nor are seedlings started now likely to mature in cool weather, so I would not recommend planting a second round. Best to pull the spent soybeans & plant a cool-weather veggie in their place.

Depending upon when you expect your first hard freeze, you might have time yet to get in a fast-maturing green pea, such as "Alaska".

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™