Buying Wholesale

Magret(z5OH)January 14, 2005

I will be selling at Farmers Market for the first time this year. I am in the process of building some new beds. Since I am building for my business, however not in business yet, can I buy wholesale? I'm talking about seed starting supplies mostly.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Buying wholesale sometimes is connected to having a sales tax number. However, each state has different rules about what can be purchased without paying sales tax on it even if it is wholesale. Some wholesalers require you to fill out a tax exempt form, which may/may not include your sales tax number. So, I guess you have to find out about sales tax within your state, then contact the wholesalers and see what they require (minimum order, letterhead, etc.) Or you may want to go to the wholesaler first.
You'll probably need a sales tax number when you are selling, especially if you are selling plants or cut flowers, so might as well get that started. Some states charge sales tax on food items also. You may also need a nursery license if you sell plants, a pesticide license if you use them, liability insurance for the farmers market (you may be able to add it as a rider to your house insurance if you don't have farm insurance), and any number of other things.
Someone from your county cooperative extension office may be able to help you wade through all of this, and they aren't connected with the enforcement of it, so it is "safe" to inquire.
Good luck with the new business.

    Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 11:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you anniew. I knew about some of the things you have mentioned and not about others. I appreciate the education. I never even considered the possibility of a pesticide license. I'll give our county cooperative extension office a call.

Thanks again,

    Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 11:57AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Starting an urban farm
Greetings all. I have read a great deal on these forums...
What to charge for tilling a garden spot
I had a guy ask me what I would charge him to till...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Large cooler to take produce to market
Now that I have a walk in cooler, I am finding that...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
help designing my irrigation system
Hello, quick introduction, My name is Ed and I have...
Sponsored Products
Winners Only Metro 60 in. Media Base - Espresso - TM160
1" Lightblocker Vinyl Mini Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
$30.00 |
Home Decorators Area Rug: Dazzle Beige 5' 6" Round
Home Depot
BAZZ Recessed Lighting Single Cube 4 1/2 in. Brushed Chrome Halogen Recessed
$22.99 | Home Depot
Roll-out Pop-up Steel Trundle Twin Bed
Lancaster County Barns 10 x 6 ft. Quaker Storage Shed - LCB-SK-QK610
Sunforce Outdoor Lighting. Solar Motion Security Light with 60 LED
$34.99 | Home Depot
Mamagreen | Mono Daybed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™