Lilies in Mexico

sagedOctober 19, 2006

Dear all

I am a bulb enthusiast and carried out research on them in the UK for 10 years (Warwick-HRI, now part of Warwick university). I now live in La Paz, BCS, Mexico.

I want to buy lilies but can´t find them here in La Paz, BCS, Mexico. Can you or a company you know send them to me? I am most interested in the fragrant varietes. Zone 6-7 upwards should be fine here, judging by what I have seen.

I have had no problem so far getting seeds into Mexico from many countries including the USA and bulbs from Holland. ALL without any special pytosanitary tickets or permissions and nothing has gone missing.

Kind regards,

Dr Darren Sage (Botanist)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

A phytosanitary certificate is needed for shipping lilies from Canada into the US, so I imagine that one is needed for shipping from the US to Mexico. The provider of the plants is the one who gets the certificates. Smaller operations that sell to other countries as well as their own pass that price on to the consumer. (its usually $15). The large dutch exporters are also getting some version of a phytosanitary certificate for their exported plant material, you just weren't charged separately for it. Since they are exporting almost everything they grow that cost is built into their prices.

Canadian companies do a fair amount of their business with the US and so are willing to do phytosanitary certificates. They might be willing to ship to Mexico as well. The Lily Nook has a very nice selection of lilies. Unfortunately, they have already shut down their fall shipping.

I'm assuming (since you're a botanist) that you know that lily bulbs (with only a couple exceptions) need a cold vernalization period to come up in the spring. It would probably be easier for you to buy them pre-cooled in the spring. That would save you one winter of refrigeration.

-Helen

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Three Oriental Lilies Topped
These were my only three Oriental lilies, planted years...
eibren
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™