How to overwinter bulbs for new garden?

linnea56(z5 IL)October 26, 2008

I ran out of time to get a new bed ready (digging out wild daylilies). I want to move various asiatics into it. I need to move these bulbs out of my main garden because I have new ones in better colors to go in their place.

Tell me which would be the better solution: plant them temporarily in my vegetable garden and dig them up and replant in the new garden next spring as soon as it is ready. Or, plant each in a small pot (4-5 inch?) and then sink that in the veg. garden, that way making it easier to pull them up next spring without disturbing the roots; then carefully cutting off the pot and planting without removing the dirt surrounding the bulb. IÂm thinking that that way I wonÂt be sacrificing bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diene(Z4ME)

Linnea;
planting them in pots is a great idea, use little bigger pots (6") and you can keep them in the pot until fall. I was amending the soil in one of my gardens this fall and discovered I had put a lily in a pot several years ago and it was still producing beautiful flowers and had made many baby bulbs. It makes it easy to figure out who made the babies in a garden with many lilies.
diene

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 5:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

Is disturbing the roots an issue when I move them in the spring? Or am I really worrying about nothing? It would be considerably more trouble to pot them and then bury the pots if it wonÂt make a real difference. .

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Oriental Lilies in Pots...Where to Overwinter in zone 4?
Hi all, I don't have room to plant lilies in my garden...
haydenrose
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™