number of bean plants

purnima(z9CA)September 21, 2010

Hi,

I have been planting around 6 plants for the last 2 years but have not been able to "stock up the freezer" as someone put it. I get a good crop to feed a family of 4 for 2-3 months. Do I need to plant many more plants? I live in CA in the SF Bay area.

Purnima

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rxkeith(z5 MI)

well, you certainly need more than 6 plants to stock up the freezer for a family of four. how many depends on the variety of bean, the appetite of your family, and the vagaries of the weather from year to year. what kind of bean do you grow, and how much space do you have to grow them? if you want to freeze a bunch to eat over the winter, you may need to triple or quadruple what you are growing.can you fill us in a bit?

keith

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 2:25PM
purnima(z9CA)

I have been growing Kentucky wonder pole beans. I have a 3X 12 raised bed and grow tomatoes and cucumbers. There is space enough to double but I was just curious. I am planning to build another raised bed and so was thinking about it.
Thanks.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 4:41PM
forpityssake

I plant 50 seeds. The season can get shortened real quick...and, if it doesn't...I've got enough for the year and plenty to give away.

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 11:21PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I plant about 1/2 pound. 2 oz for me, 6oz for the deer.....

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 10:42AM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

Purnima, aren't Kentucky wonder poles great? they do really well here, I am a bit south of you, same zone. I usually put 10-12 seeds for three or four kinds of snap beans, and then a whole lot more of course for shellies and dry beans. I never have enough of either. I like to freeze shellies but not snaps, I pickle those. I do freeze snow peas though, they taste good to me even that way. I still have some in the freezer from the winter. I went crazy and put about 60 seeds, they all produced for about 3-4 months. Oh and it is just two of us, but we give lots to friends and family.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 10:55PM
rdback(Z6 VA)

"I have been planting around 6 plants...I get a good crop to feed a family of 4 for 2-3 months. Do I need to plant many more plants?

Hi Purnima,

This reminds me of those old arithmatic problems we all didn't understand lol!

So, if 6 plants provide enough beans for 2-3 months, then 24-36 plants should produce enough to last for 12 months.

Then again, I never was very good at math *smile*.

Rick

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 9:21AM
deanriowa(4b)

Then again, I never was very good at math *smile*.
6 36 -- X --

2 12

Looks like good math to me ;)

purnima, you might consider try growing some other varieties for variety and to see if you could get higher production. I really like Rattle Snake green beans. I personally like to freeze green and wax beans together, I think it taste and looks better when served.

Dean

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 12:05PM
purnima(z9CA)

Thanks for all the replies. Rick, I guess you are right. I could just double up to increase my yield. Dean, like you said, I would like to try different varieties that produce good. My kids are wary of trying something that doesnt look like beans.
One other thing is that by the end of the season, the plants seem to look sickly - browning and sometimes having some sticky, spiderwebby kind of stuff on them. I then just pull them all out. What do you all do?

Thanks, once again,
Purnima

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™