is it possible?

vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)November 21, 2012

Might Nomocharis saluenensis cross with Macklin's lily? They're both out at the moment, side by side, pretty in pink.

(I ask because I've heard that Nomocharis used to be included with Lilium.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

Any bigeneric crosses (i.e. Nomocharis x Lilium) are rare using traditional methods and very difficult. However, division of these two genera has proven not to be very accurate, as Lilium saluensis is actually quite closely related to Lilium nepalense, according to an RNA study (Nishikawa, Okazaki, Arakawa and Nagamine. 2001). In fact, it appears that L. nepalense and N. saluensis would cross more easily than L. nepalense and any other Lilium species(!). But N. saluensis and L. mackliniae are very far apart, genetically speaking, and according to this same phylogenetic study, and would not cross.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 1:55AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Sorry for the misspelling of saluenensis, and the study was with DNA, not RNA. The inability to edit one's own post is one of the pitfalls of this archaic system, and one of the many reasons I seldom pop in to GW anymore.

I know that by looking at the species, you might think I am off my rocker, but that is how I read the phylogenetic chart. It's been years since I read the entire study, and there may be more pertinent information within. If you would like a copy of the pdf, send my a message through GW with your email address and I can send it to you.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 9:41AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Confession: I'm hopeless with flow charts and similar constructs, so I thank you for your kind offer and reluctantly pass.

Totally agree about saluenensis! (When I hit the first 'n' I think it's safe to pass along to the 's' directly...:-(( )

And, if either of them has a seed pod that swells - I won't hope unduly.

Thanks for helping.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 1:40AM
sgfaraway

Dear All,
I'm interested in Lily growing and now planning to grow these flowers in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, using greenhouse. Our local climate's something like 22 oC at night and 32 oC at day. Can it possible?

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Three Oriental Lilies Topped
These were my only three Oriental lilies, planted years...
eibren
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™