Lutescent Beckoning

lavendargrrl(7b Apex, NC)June 22, 2014

You may recall that this was a NOID earlier in the season for me. The leaves were somewhat a blue-green shade and had some very faint areas that were starting to get lighter. Now, we've had a lot of really hot weather and some leaves are almost solid yellow. I think I got this as a 1st year tissue culture and it was very tiny at that time. I planted it at the front edge of my hosta bed, and now it's rather large and needs to be relocated. Maybe next spring! I did make some progress pulling weeds in this second half of my big hosta bed on Saturday, but unfortunately this pic was taken before that work. Now I must get some mulch down!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Angie. Are you saying your NOID is identified as Beckoning?
Or are you still looking for the ID?

Lovely hosta with my favorite variegation. It looks like in shade it would lose the yellow and wind up with a spotty shade of dark green/blue. Pretty hosta.

No ideas if you are looking for suggestions.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 11:19PM
lavendargrrl(7b Apex, NC)

Hi mocc, I am certain of the ID on this one now. It is definitely Beckoning. Earlier this year I did not know the name of the hosta. I had posted asking for help with ID. You can see in this additional picture the coloring of the hosta before it got too hot. That is one of the pictures I posted to get help with an ID. This one is lutescent, which means it gets lighter as the temperatures rise. It is caused by one or more genes and how they react to rise in temp.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:09AM
bkay2000

So, do you think you have a problem are just showing your plant? I missed something.

bk

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:50AM
hostatakeover z6a swMO

Definitely Beckoning. It's seasonal coloring is coming along really well. Very pretty! :)

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 10:10AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

It is so nice when a plant behaves precisely as it should. It is one of the things I love about hosta.....they may look the same as other hosta for a while, but hang on and it will reveal itself to you. We just have to be observant.

I find Beckoning intriguing. So glad you found its secret ID.
I'm pleased you let us know the "rest of the story."

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 11:28AM
lavendargrrl(7b Apex, NC)

bk, no problem at all - just sharing an updated pic. That's exactly what should be happening with the color change :)

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™