Wormy radishes

sackofmommyJanuary 4, 2007

I need a fool-proof way to plant radishes and not have them get wormy. There's so much demand for them and I can't get any of decent quality to sell. I've heard people use tarps or covers but what kind of covers and methods? Any advice is is welcomed greatly. I'm so glad to have found this site. Trial and error all on your own gets to you sometimes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mommagoose(z5 NY)

Hello, I generally plant my radishes with carrots or beets. The radishes come up quickly and help mark the rows for me. Our main pest is the flea beetle which riddles the leaves with holes. I sell bunches of radishes with their tops on so I use floating row cover to protect the leaves. Generally, I plant the carrots and radishes water them well and put the row cover on. I just check periodically to make sure the seedlings have not dried out. I remove the row cover as soon as I have harvested all the radishes. The radishes are also used as a trap crop to capture root borers so they do not harm my carrots.
What varieties do you plan on planting? I used Burpees Easter egg radishes to spark up my table at the market. I have also planted the bigger rooted Asian types. The breakfast types are pretty too. I was surprised at how many cultures cook the leaves too which made the row cover a good investment. Good Luck.
Linda

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
electric mantis tiller?
I am thinking of getting one for use in hoop houses....
jnjfarm_gw
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™