Dodging elements/wk schedule: are my lilies worth planting?

phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)November 21, 2007

I got all my lily bulbs and tulip bulbs ready to plant about 3 weeks ago...dipped in Ropel etc.

Dot Com asiatic, speciosum rubrum/album

Excelsior oriental

I am so disappointed..I was going to try to FINALLY plant them today (I've been dodging rain/snow and darkness falling before I get home from work and a hard family situation we didn't foresee that has taken a lot of personal time)...

I looked today, and the roots are pretty dried out. I should have put them back in the peat mixture, but thought they'd be ok. I don't know HOW dry is too dry to bother with. The bulbs themselves are moist, but the roots are dry.

Is it TOO LATE to bother with the lilies? Should I just concentrate on getting the tulips in instead?

Thanks.

Phyl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

It is not too late if your Lily bulbs are not severely dehydrated. I would plant Lilies first, then tulips. Lilies are more expensive and more rewarding (IMHO) than tulips. If your soil is not frozen, go ahead and plant them. Dehydration might cause delay in the next year blooming. Or they might not bloom at all next year. Asiatic and speciosum are very tolerable. Make sure that they will have excellent drainage.
You can plant tulips any time later if your soil is workable. They will bloom for you if they will have 6-8 weeks of cold period before spring. Same thing: good drainage is crucial for them to survive.

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 10:30AM
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

Thanks, Alina. I got them planted a few days later, then it really started snowing. Husband got 1/2 the species tulips planted FOR me...found himself an electric auger/drill thingee. That really helped, a lot.
I appreciate your advice! :0) Phyl

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 5:25AM
alina_1

Phyl, good luck with your bulbs! I still did not plant some of my Tulips and Daffs. I do not trust my DH to plant for me :-) He "helped" me already with weeding: he removed some of my precious Lilies...

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™