Support for english peas

popcornhillSeptember 7, 2007

Well today I finished my fall garden planting with a double row of lettuce and a double row of English peas. My question is about the English peas. They are 1. Sugar Ann edible and 2. Alaska. Do those two need supports? I was told they are bush type peas but I also read they do need support. I am going to put a crw down the middle of the row if they do need support. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Yes they really do need some support...any bit of wire or string or fencing to help them out...In my garden I have boxes...I sewed the peas right down the middle of the boxes and sewed 4 rows...on each end of the box and in the middle I have a stake or rebar and attached to it is plastic mesh...

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
popcornhill

Thank you Ruthieg. I put up some support this morning. And used 6 gallons of sweat in this humid air! After reading different sites...you never know what to do really execept come here for some tried and true advice. Rain tomorrow and the next day. Hope they don't get washed away. Purple hulls, Green beans and Multiplying onions are looking good. My first time for English peas.

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™