Korean Bean Pickle

jimster(z7a MA)September 18, 2008

In this 9:30 min. video on YouTube, there is mention of what seems to be a pickled bean at about the 8:30 mark. Neither of the ladies in the video know what it is called. Do you know? How is it made? What is it? Where can I get it or how can I make it?

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Korean Bean Pickle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sparklenj(6)

Jim, cannot find the video you're referring to. what do you mean by 8:30 mark?..

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 11:49PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Click on the blue link and the video will play. At the bottom of the video frame the elapsed time and the total times are shown. The comments I refer to begin at about 8:30 elapsed time.

After viewing again, I see that the beans are soy. There is no information about the way those soy beans are prepared.

Jim

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 1:21AM
jwr6404(8B Wa)

Jim
Koreans,especially my wifes generation, prepare soy beans in many ways. The Mrs even makes her own Korean Soy Sauce. I'll try to locate a Korean cook book for you. By the way did you have any luck with your IWK Beans?
Jim

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 10:51AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Jim,

My aim for the IWKs this year was just to increase seed. They are not quite mature enough for dry seed yet because I was a little late planting. They have grown well however and there is still time for them to finish. IWK is a beautiful bean and I'm very happy to have it.

Jim

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 11:34AM
sparklenj(6)

Jimster,
Yes, I see the soybeans at around 8:30 mark. These seem to be simmered beans (the pickle is the vegetable next to the beans - looks like melon cucumber) - soak overnight, and then cook with soy sauce, sugar/molasses, salt, sometimes with a bit of mirin or garlic, until al dente. Top with sesame seeds before serving. Koreans also cook black beans this way. The name is "kong jorim" loosely translated "bean simmered"

The other Jim, thanks to you we have enjoyed red IWK blooms during the summer and are starting to harvest dry IWK.

S

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 1:30AM
sparklenj(6)

Correction - I consulted my mother - a Korean mother and household cook for about half-century. She says the beans are not soaked overnight before cooking, but rather put in pot with water and cooked before adding seasoning. Also, soybeans can be dry sauteed in pan until skin pops, and then add water and seasoning to cook until al dente. The one in the video looks like the second kind. Judge from the color about amount of soy sauce and sugar to add. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 9:51PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Thanks sparkle, for working so hard to decipher the little bit of visual information in that video. There wasn't much to go on and you did amazingly well. I've learned something.

One last question. Are we talking about dried soy beans here or green shellies?

Jim

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 10:17PM
sparklenj(6)

You're welcome, Jim, They are the dried kind - yellow, hard ones soften on heat with water added

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Strange Pea problem - predator or what?
Hi. Last year, for the first time, my healthy green...
blueskink
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Sponsored Products
Ball 16-oz/ Pint Mason Jars (Set of 24)
Overstock.com
Accent Rug: Frutillar1 Tea Leaves 2' x 3' 3"
$26.97 | Home Depot
Tournament Wooden Cornhole Set - 101 RED/ROYAL
$126.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Collipulli Tea Leaves 5
Home Depot
To Have and To Hold Glass Jar
$11.99 | Dot & Bo