Any Full Sun JMs for N. Florida?

scottihJanuary 6, 2011

Ishboz, which JM have you planted that can take full sun for the entire day? Also, my nursery guy here is interested in hooking up with Bobby as a potential supplier. How would he or myself get ahold of him. You may reach me, I use gmail.com and my email name is scottih1. Also, have you had a Butterfly long enough to determine true height. Most tags around here list it as 4-6' but Vertrees says 16-20'.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haroldandcher17220_yahoo_com

Well, this post has been up for a month and not a single bite.
I know you don't want to hear this, but a JM that will look good growing in full sun in the south, let alone florida, is really looking for a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Even in the north, in areas in warmer heat zones, JMs will have bad scorch and look bad at the end of a season. Similarly even in the shade in hot parts of the south, JMs will have visible signs of stress in the best of situations.

My advice to you is to be extremely wary of claims of any particular cultivar to thrive in heat or full sun in florida or in the south. Or anywhere. The heat/drought/sun tolerant gene for this species just doesn't exist.

The good news is if it's red-purple foliage you're looking for there are some better adapted species to your region.

If you don't want to take my word for it then my advice would be not to spend a large amount of money. Try a bloodgood or emperor that's relatively cheap and easy to come by. See how that does. If you can then visualize a 50% increase in performance and find that worth the money, then keep looking for the magic cultivar.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™