JM near Black Walnut Trees

neverenoughflowers(6 SEPA Downingtown)January 20, 2010

Hi, I am new to Maples, I usually hang out at Cottage Garden and Winter Sowing. I have several Black Walnut trees on my property. I also have some maples but not in close proximity to the walnuts. I would like to incorporate several JM in an area close to the walnuts. Does anyone have any success stories to share? Thanks for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Most maple species are resistant to the allelopathic effects of black walnuts, Japanese maples included. I would still have concerns about planting these trees where they would encounter a lot of root competition from the walnuts - the competition will slow establishment and there's a risk of the walnuts hogging all the soil moisture and nutrients. I'd provide additional attention to both watering and mulching to supply nutrients.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 11:55AM
neverenoughflowers(6 SEPA Downingtown)

Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. Carol

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 9:37PM
flowerchild59(z6b IL)

I don't think there will be that much root competition with a walnut. I have over 500 hostas under a canopy of mainly walnut trees and they do fine. I chose the BW due to the fact that they are taprooted trees and don't have very many surface roots.
Do a google search for more information or call your local forestry office.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 9:37AM
gardengal48

Whether or not a tree develops a so-called tap root has little bearing on the appearance and location of the rest of the root system. All trees will concentrate the bulk of their roots very close to the soil surface, typically within the top 12-18", with most of the very fine and dense feeder roots directly below the soil surface. That's where the oxygen, soil moisture and nutrients are located and so that's where the roots predominate. Any forestry or arboriculture resource will confirm this.

It is one thing to establish smaller growing, very shallowly rooted perennials like hostas under the canopy of any large tree -- it is quite another to plant another tree or large shrub. The root systems will compete and the larger one usually wins unless special care is provided for the smaller species until it is well-established. Often this need for additional attention will persist, especially with drought intolerant species like Japanese maples.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 11:21AM
swmogardens(6)

If you plant them too close, they will lean, or stretch for the sun.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 6:23PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Which side of the walnuts are you fixing to plant the maples on?

My theory is the south side of a row of walnuts will have more sun than the north side. Think about the old moss on the north side of the tree trunk thing.

Black Walnuts in my yard get their leaves late and dump them early.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Sponsored Products
TRIBECCA HOME Piston Cottage White Modern Full-size Low Profile Bed
Overstock.com
Z-Bar Mini LED Desk Lamp
Lightology
Firefly Sculptural Firebowl
FRONTGATE
Hang 1 Drop Mirror by Blu Dot
$299.00 | Lumens
Gothic Three-Light Pendant In Bronze
$302.10 | Bellacor
Fairy Noelle Garden Pick
$7.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Updated Hemstitch Window PanelWhite
Serena & Lily
Finishing Touch Stretch Bell Merlot Dupione Silk with Embroidered Scroll Pattern
$25.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™