new to lilies

krowenowNovember 26, 2008

I'm getting married may 23rd and I want lilies to be my only flower. I want the stargazer lilies, the bright pink ones (not sure of their name), and the all white ones (not sure of their name either). However, I don't want to pay a florist. I wanted to plant them all myself because my wedding site is a family owned lake-side property that has nothing on it. I get to start from scratch, which is exciting, but not when you know NOTHING about gardening. I have been told that it's too late to plant lilies for may but I was reading a post earlier that said you can plant them in may. I just really need some feedback. Thanks so much!

Kimberly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

In my zone 4 garden Stargazer Oriental lilies are July bloomers, as are the white Casa Blanca lilies. The asiatic lilies are usually earlier bloomers, but I don't know of any that will bloom in May. You're in a warmer zone, so may get slightly earlier bloom but not enough to give you May bloom. Sorry!

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Ditto. There is no Lily that will bloom in May (no matter when planted). Florists' Lilies are profecionally forced to bloom (using chemicals and greenhouse conditions).

Tennessee is in zone 6/7. Orientals are July bloomers for these zones as well. Even so called Easter Lilies (Lilium longiflorum) naturally bloom in June/July.

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™