Tree started to leaf out! What to do?

marchela(Z6, NJ)January 25, 2008

Hello,

I recently purchased 2 maples from ebay. A purchased from the same seller before - always a good quality at good price. This time, when the trees arrived, I ponted out that the one of them, "Ueno Yama", started to leaf out (the other trees are still in dormant condition). I planted it in a pot and keep in attached sun room along with 6 other JMs. The day temperature in sun room is around 5-7°C and 0°C at night. I just realized that Ueno Yama continue to leaf out. The February didn't begin yet and it's usually the coldest month in our zone. What should I do with the tree if the leaves will unfurl fully in the next couple weeks!?

Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
picea(6A Cinci- Oh)

If you have an attached garage that doesn't get below freezing but stays very cool I would place it there. If not you might gave to bring it inside. If it is leafing out it must have had a long enough cold period. By the way who did you purchase from?

David

Bookmark   January 25, 2008 at 10:24PM
myersphcf(z6a IL)

This is a common problem buying mail order.since many growers are from milder climates..but unusual for this early ... those that buy from etailers in winter or early spring should always request dormant trees or better yet have delivery when weather warms to a point you can be comfortable with ...for me that is mid April... just remember if you are an impatient type always check to see that they are dormant ...the same in late fall,,,but remember they may not be as dormant as you think depending on how cold it still is (spring ) or for how long (fall) at their point of origin I have biought several in late fall early winter from the west coast that were not nearly hardened enough to be planted out and survive...David

Bookmark   January 26, 2008 at 1:07AM
davidv(6)

Where are you located? Maybe if you are close enough to me you can bring them over and put them in my greenhouse.

Dave

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Maple sap help
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Sponsored Products
Nesta Rug
Design Within Reach
INSPIRE Q Glenroy Mod Circles Adjustable Futon
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Senses Shag Natural
Home Depot
Discus Semi-Flushmount by Philips
$220.00 | Lumens
CAD Dining Chairs Set of 4 in Black
$629.00 | LexMod