lilium sp seed germination qu

tgodlove(x7 NY)November 30, 2005

In early Oct I put a hundred or so seeds in damp paper towel / zip lock and forgot about it. Just opened it, and I find ten or so long (2 - 3 in.) slender white/clear strands. I assume these are the results of germination (are they called "radicals"?), but they're not attached to any seed. Does the seed just shrink to nothing, or does it fall off, or have left them in too long, or what?

I put the ten of them into the fridge (again damp paper towel / zip lock).

Clearly, I'm flying blind here. Apprec any info / advice.

TG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi TG

I only just started growing lilies from seed last winter and planted my first batch outside this summer. So I'm no expert. But, from your description it sounds like you have immediate epigeal (quick growth) seeds that have sprouted producing a root and cotyledon (which without sun would look like just one white strand). If that is the case then plant them in some potting soil with the tops sticking out and put them in a sunny window sill so they can start growing and form their first true leaves. If you have delayed hypogeal seeds they will need a cold spell in the fridge (after 3 months warm temps first).

What types of lilies did the seeds come from? That'll tell you which type of germination you have.

Check out the seed growing page on the North American Lily Society website.

-Helen

Here is a link that might be useful: NALS seed growing page

Bookmark   December 4, 2005 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™