Acer rufinerve 'Winter Gold' vs Acer Palmatum 'Bihou'

hallerlakeFebruary 24, 2013

The similarity is obvious, but what are the differences? What are the advantages of growing one or the other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The similarity is only in the bark color - and that is really most noticeable in winter anyway, when the tree is out of leaf. Otherwise rufinerve will get much larger and has rather "unmaple"-looking foliage, typically three lobed but sometimes as much as five. Have not seen fall color on 'Bihou' but rufinerves in general get very nice fall color.

Personally I am not all that knocked out by 'Bihou' but that's just me :-) Japanese maples in our area are a dime a dozen.......I'd go with something a little less expected myself, like the 'Winter Gold'.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:21PM
hallerlake

Unfortunately, I've only seen the A. r. 'Winter Gold' in big buckets. I have champagne tastes and a beer budget. I've seen the A. p. Bihou' in gallons.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 1:54AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I saw somebody elsewhere say the 'Bihou' was a bit weak, mine currently has tip dieback.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:29PM
AcerTR

I don't know about "Winter Gold", but A.p. Bihou is a blast! Extremely hardy and vigorous on CA Central Coast, slightly inland.

It has rich, golden-orange stems that show through the delicate, green foliage, leaves being somewhat similar to "Coral Bark". I truly love it. Oh yes, it is in a container on my deck.

In late winter, it should be pruned and re-shaped for Spring.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 7:51PM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

Love the look of Bihou. However ours died from what I assume is Pseudomonas over the winter. Had tip die back the first winter while in a pot, was moved into garage in protected, in and EXTREMELY mild winter. So planted it out last spring, hoping for better results. Result was death in a not exactly cold winter, but colder than the year before. Mean while all other JM are just fine. IMHO, I will not be trying Bihou again.

Arktrees

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™