Planting beans in fall for spring - volunteers??

dancinglemons(7B VA)October 18, 2012

Hello all,

This year (2012) I had an abundance of long bean volunteers. Somehow the seeds dropped into the soil last summer (2011) stayed there over the winter and sprouted in late spring. Does anyone know what happens if I am the one to put the seeds into the soil right where I want them to grow? Has anyone planted their long bean seeds and left them over winter?? I am in Zone 7B and winter temps usually go down to 20 degrees a few times during winter but temps never stay that low during the day - we usually have some snow but how much can change year to year.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks,

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetquietplace(6 WNC Mtn.)

I don't know about beans, but I pre-planted a couple of rows of potatoes. I figured that it should work since I always have lots of potato volunteers first thing in the spring coming up from the little potatoes I missed the previous year. I'm covering them with a couple of inches of leaves and straw. Beans aren't planted that deep, so maybe you can try that too. It's just an experiment if you have plenty of seed, so have some fun.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 8:44AM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

OK let's try this again. Anyone have knowledge about planting beans (lima and long beans) in the fall to over winter and germinate in the spring??

Thanks,
DL

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 2:49AM
hementia8(8 MS)

The only bean I know of that can be planted in your zone in the fall and survive the winter are FAVA BEANS

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:17AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I have had runner beans volunteer from seed which fell in the Autumn. But I wouldn't pin my hopes on it as a reliable method of growing a crop. A lot, in fact in my climate the majority, will rot off over the winter. Obviously, if you have lots of seed and lots of space there's no downside to trying. But I'm pretty sure you'll need to sow in spring too.

Regarding favas, my Autumn sowing has been in 2 weeks. Even they are prone to rotting and mice so I always do several more sowings in succession in the spring.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 5:03AM
purnima(z9CA)

I had planted the Insuk runner beans last year. Over the winter the leaves were all gone and it was trimmed to just an inch in height from the ground. This year it came and has produced the best crop till now. I am in zone 9.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 5:06PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Purnim - runner beans are perennial in their native habitat (S America)and in mild areas, like yours, the roots can overwinter. They look a bit like dahlia tubers. They occasionally overwinter in my climate but I doubt very much they would do so in 7b. They will not survive any freezing in the ground. I suspect Dancinglemons' volunteers came from dropped seed rather than roots, but if she mulched heavily and the ground did not freeze it is possible they came from roots.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™