Accepting Bank Cards At Farmer's Markets???

patricias_herbs(Eastern Wash. State Z5)January 10, 2006

Hello,

I need some advice from folks that accept credit cards for on & off site sales.

I'm finally giving in- I plan to accept Bankcards this season with a $10 minimum charge. I will be doing 2 Farmer's Markets, several large gardening shows, as well as greenhouse sales during the week. I'm also thinking of offering it for online sales. But I will be shut down for the winter months.

I'm most concerned about the off-site sales, and how they would work. When folks are lined up to pay-I need to expedite the process. Cell phone authorizations are very time consuming, but how safe is it to not call them in at the time of sale? An electronic reader without phone service sounds good to me, but is several hundred dollars for the unit. This processes the card just like in the store but stores all the info until you get home and hook it up to the phone line. Professional, easy to use, though again cards not authorized until you get back home.

Any recommendations & experiences on who you have found to be successful- reasonable & cost effective, easy & safe to use?

My bank is real pricey & high fees continue while I'm closed down for winter. A craft vendor at our market uses Costco's services & is satisfied. I have checked out Propay.com and Charge.com. Both have some good pros & low cons.

Thanks for your advice & time- Patricia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wjy520(z5 PA)

This doesn't answer your question, but I was wondering if the same type of setup would work for food stamps.

Bookmark   January 11, 2006 at 7:05AM
Tom1953(5)

It will, I had a machine thsi summer just for food stamps.

Bookmark   January 12, 2006 at 10:14PM
edwoodtick(musk z 5)

this is on my todo list to find a wireless card machine , i belive it would pay for its self in one season for credit or debt cards working on this will let you know ed 50 degrees in michigan today what is up with that ????????/

Bookmark   January 12, 2006 at 11:30PM
Patsyptrsn(z4 minnesota)

This does not answer your Q. but this season our market will be receiving a machine from the state on a grant. It will take all cards and food stamp cards. This will belong to the Market for all vendors to use. I do not know how efficient this is going to be or how its going to work. We all know a lot of poeple do not carry much cash and would buy more with plastic.

Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 2:43PM
patricias_herbs(Eastern Wash. State Z5)

Just updating- I haven't decided on a company yet but still looking. Any one else have advise? Patricia

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
Micro Green mix help
Lately, I've been getting demand for micro greens in...
TheRipeTomato
Wanted: 4 row seeder
I'm in the market for a 4 row pinpoint seeder, the...
sundacks
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™