shade fabric

little_minnie(zone 4a)January 29, 2013

I am going to order some shade fabric for my low tunnels for lettuce/spinach production in summer. What percentage is right? The wholesale rep said 50%. I plan to use just 6 feet wide across the top of the tunnels with the sides open and lots of grommets to attach cords to. The local wholesaler says 6x100 feet with grommets every 2 feet of 50% black shade fabric is around $125. That is cheaper than Growers Supply.
I just got an email deal for Growers Supply though. $75 off a $500 order. I still have lots to order from them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I am still online shopping around. the plastic mulch I wanted from Growers Supply is no longer available. I found a company called Berry Hill that has it and all sorts of stuff! What is this product like?

Here is a link that might be useful: netting

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 2:55PM
tonytiller

I would buy green house shade cover in a roll and cut it myself, use plastic twine to weave thru it and tie it. shade cover Nolts supply: Iowa binder twine local farm store.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 5:54PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I ordered my shade fabric from the localish wholesaler yesterday. It is going to be delivered from the manufacturer. It is 100 ft by 6 feet 55% shade and grommets with finished edges. An investment.

I really hope to have enough shade for summer green production! That will cover 4 beds mostly.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Does anyone know if 1 inch poly tubing is available at places like Menards and Lowe's? Shipping is killing me from drip companies. The product was $50 and the shipping was $50. I should call my landlord and see if he can get it with his underground sprinkler supplies...

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 11:45PM
myfamilysfarm

We used 1" black poly tubing for our water line, I think the minimum was 100' and we did buy it at Menards. Unfortunately, it's much thicker than what you would use for irrigation. Menards do carry irrigation kits.

I would check with your landlord and see if he can help you. By buying a larger amount it might be a better deal.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:23AM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

The extra thick stuff is for the low tunnel. I have what I need for irrigation. The tubing will be the arches of the low tunnel, into rebar with EMT 'purlins' I think they are called.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:02PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Menards sells thin wall irrigation tubing too in 100 foot rolls. It is different from the regular poly pipe, ask for it. I bought some last spring.

Jay

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
grow bags
anyone have experience with grow bags? looking at 15...
randy41_1
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
Question about greenhouse ventilation
Hey all, We have a 30' x 48' gothic greenhouse with...
secondspring
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™