Photos from Berea, KY Seed Swap

remy_gwOctober 31, 2011

Hi All,

I saw a post somewhere else and I realized I should post a link to my pics here since some of you were interested in the event at Bill Best's Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center.

It was a great time. I spent the whole day talking about seeds! I met people I've known for years on the computer like Gardenlad that used to post here and made new friends too.

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Berea, KY Photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Remy I forgot to ask, did you find any new to you heirlooms to try :).

Annette

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 1:02PM
remy_gw

Of course Annette : ) I got a few beans.
Seneca Speckled Egg is really cool looking, small roundish tan-brown speckled beans.
Purple Tip
Big John
October
John D. White
Hazel Gil

I also came home with a few other things like garlic and tomatoes.
I could of got more, but that would of been silly since I can only grow so many at a time.
I spent a lot of time talking. I had no idea I would field so many questions, but it was fun to have so many people interested in gardening and heirlooms wanting to know more. I especially enjoyed the younger adults. They are the future preservationists!
Remy

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 1:52PM
deanriowa(4b)

Some nice pictures. I am hoping to be able to attend one of these years to swap and get some more interesting beans.

The potluck looked good.

Dean

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 10:38AM
jolj(7b/8a)

Thanks for the photos.
Could you post a thread next year, as soon as you get details on the next seed swap.
I like the old jars as much as the colorful beans.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 10:57PM
growmomma

I'm going to the seed swap this coming weekend (10/5/13) and would appreciate any advice or suggestions that anyone can provide for making the most of the experience!

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 4:51PM
remy_gw

I sent growmomma message, but I'll re-post what I told her as I'm sure others might be asking the same things.
. Many people bring seeds to swap from their gardens. Some people like me also have commercial (but OP/Heirlooms seeds) packs from their business too. But I use them to swap with regular gardeners. So my set up is I trade or give a free pack or two out, and if people want more, then they buy. Some people just swap and a few people just sell. So there is no right or wrong :) It is definitely the place to be for seeds!
Bill also does a tour and last year he did a demo. He tries to change it up to keep it interesting.
The first year I went, I did not have table, but they made space for me. I brought my own table last year. (This is for people doing major swapping. Many people just come to brows the tables and chat, and maybe have a few packets of seeds on them to trade.)
There is potluck lunch. If you want you can bring something. But is is not required. For traveling, I always suggest something that won't go bad like cookies or cake.
The lady directly across the street from the swap has made a B&B in her home.It can't be any more convenient. http://goosehilldowns.com/
The hotel I stayed at was the Boone Tavern, very nice place. http://www.boonetavernhotel.com/
There are also a cluster of hotels right near the thruway exit too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos from 2012 Swap

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 10:22PM
sea_kangaroo(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

Anybody from the forum planning on going this year?

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 2:41PM
remy_gw

I will be there again. I don't have photo album from last year, but I can tell you was huge. There were over 200 people for sure.
Remy

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 4:08PM

Pictures please :).

Annette

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 6:21PM
drloyd

Frank Barnett, like Bill Best, is a serious bean researcher who roams Appalachia in search of new varieties. I have gotten some really nice full type beans from him. Anyone who gets to go to the gathering might want to visit with him. - Dick

Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 4:05PM
remy_gw

Frank is a very nice man.
Annette, We will take pics :)

Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 10:45PM
remy_gw

Hi All,
It was a great time as usual.
My SIL did get some pics taken. You can see them on the link below.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Berea Seed Swap

Bookmark   October 6, 2014 at 10:28AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Nice photos, Remy. Wish I could have been there this year, but couldn't spare that much time off from work. Did manage to get to Heritage Farm over the Labor Day weekend, though, and it was a productive visit.

Bookmark   October 7, 2014 at 12:06AM
remy_gw

Zeedman, You were missed. A few people said something to me asking about you. One lady in particular wanted to contact you. Some bean you gave her did really well. I did give her my card so she could get a hold of me to get a hold of you.

Bookmark   October 7, 2014 at 6:59AM
blueflint(z6a OH)

We had a great time but as usual...it went way too fast. It is always good to see old friends and meet new ones too! I picked up about a dozen new beans this year. Dinner Saturday night was great too as we were able to relax and enjoy...but how long were we in there? Seems like a lot of people came and went before we did. Lots of laughter and giggling going on.

Did you see how much better Bill was getting around? His hip replacement went very well. He also had cataract surgery yesterday.

Tony

Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™