bark trauma

thistle5(z7 VA)February 27, 2007

During the last bit of bad weather we had here (ice storm), my little 10'x 10' patio tent collapsed under the weight of the ice & hit my Shigitatsu Sawa, which is in a pot. It scraped about 2" on the trunk, is there anything I can do for this, or will it heal itself?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattlwfowler

It should heal itself, and I wouldn't recommend putting any kind of sealant on the cut. If the cut is fairly large it might be a good idea to put some fungicide on it, to prevent disease from entering the wound. If the tree is in good health, however, the trees natural defense mechanism should protect it.

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 8:04PM
gardengal48

Your maple should be fine - I'd just leave it be. Bark trauma is not all that uncommon with J. maples, at least in my area. Squirrels are very fond of the tender bark - whether for eating or for nest building I've never figured out - and are often the source of bark stripping in early spring. Sometimes these torn strips are quite lengthy, but I've never encountered a J. maple that wasn't able to heal itself and recover nicely. Now if they remove the bark from all the way around the tree, you've got a problem.

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 10:21PM
thistle5(z7 VA)

Thanks, I've been worried about it, but since the tree seems healthy, I wasn't going to do anything, unless it looked necessary. I feel horribly guilty, though, I kept thinking all night long that I needed to go out & get the snow/ice off the tent, but I waited too long...

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 10:23PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

"Bark trauma" sounds like a veterinary complaint. Keep tree growing happily and it will fairly soon replace the lost bark.

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 11:05PM
acernut(z8b CenTX)

Paul James in Gardening by the Yard on HGTV had some serious damage on a JM. Here's what he did....

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV JM Repair

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 11:26PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I don't know about the peat and plastic (link, above). For starters I wouldn't expect peat purchased nowadays to be sterile. Peat under clear plastic seems like a nice little environment for wood decay to get started.

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Hello Folks. The journey begins.
Big hello to you all. I have just moved to lovely property...
mapleface
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Maple sap help
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™