Sprouting in the pod

happyday(WI4a)October 6, 2010

Quite a few of my beans of all varieties have broken their seed coats and enlarged their cotyledons while still inside the pod. These were shelled out and dried with the others to test if they will germinate next year.

What causes beans to sprout inside the pod like this?

I thought this might have been due to my foliar fertilizer use until nearby organic gardening friends told me that their beans this year also did this. They attributed it to the excessive rains.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tormato

Happyday,

Excessive rain does it here. For me, Jeminez is the leader of the pack when it comes to sprouting in the pod. Some years I can lose about 25% of the pods.

Gary

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 2:11PM
happyday(WI4a)

Gary, are those seeds still viable? Did you ever try planting them?

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 2:32PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

When shelling I found two or three beans that had done this, I've never had this happen before. I sure hope the growing season next year is better than this one has been. We've had an awful lot of damp if not rainy days here.

Annette

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 2:38PM
forpityssake

I've always believed it's due to higher rainfall than the bean needs to fill out. It's usually the biggest bean in the pod. (I'm talking Lima beans)

I've experimented with them for the next planting season & found that as long as the outer skin hasn't cracked, they sprout.

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 9:39PM
tormato

Happyday,

No, the sprouted ones are not viable.

I've found that in rainy weather, it's best to pick pods that have started to dry, and move them indoors. I then open one, or two, to check on sprouting. If I find sprouting, I open them all. If no sprouting, I let them fully dry.

Gary

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 12:04PM
rdback(Z6 VA)

"What causes beans to sprout inside the pod like this?

I think we all agree wet conditions cause this sprouting, but rain isn't always the reason. *smile*

Toward the end of the season last year, there was a threat of rain so I decided to pick my "seed" beans a little early. They were almost dry, but not quite. I got to my last variety and realized I was out of empty baskets. So, I grabbed one of those grocery store "plastic" bags and emptied one of my bean baskets into it. Long story short, I "forgot" about the beans in the plastic bag. A few weeks later I rediscovered them and, much to my dismay, found them sprouting. During that time the beans were finishing their drying process naturally but, being in the plastic bag, the moisture had nowhere to go so it just condensed inside the bag.

Yet another reason to switch back to paper bags lol.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 10:26AM
happyday(WI4a)

Rdback what variety of bean is that?

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 12:40PM
rdback(Z6 VA)

Happy, the best I can recall is Goose, but I'm not 100% sure. My memory isn't what it once was.

Rick

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 9:23AM
happyday(WI4a)

I've grown a Goose bean that was olive green cutshort like the Ma Williams and didn't have any of the red color.

When I pick into plastic bags, I have to get them out of the bags that night, and the inside of the bag is still wet.

Somebody handy with a sewing machine could make reusable cloth picking bags, possibly these could be hung to dry?

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™