Master Gardener National rules/regulations

curdog007February 26, 2010

Does anyone know if there are National rules/regulations that apply to the each state level? It appears to me that each state makes up the rules as they see fit. Example; dues, there is a state that has a $10 due but is not mandatory(strange). The adjacent state has a $25 due that if not paid by Jan 1st, you sit out for the year(makes sense).

Would like your thoughts on how rules/regulations are determined in your state.

Thanks

Lynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

The Master Gardener program is a volunteer program administered by each state's land grant college which also runs the Co-operative Extension Service. Each state runs the program differently,which accounts for the wide variation in the charge to enroll in the program. Also each MG unit is often unique unto itself. The local MG unit is supposed to be supervised by the local Extension Agent but if there isn't an agent the MG unit can run itself, under state guidelines of course.....or supposedly. Each agent runs the MG program differently, some are very involved, others aren't. Some MG units levy dues, others don't. The two I've been involved in do not. The dues may offset some costs incurred by the unit, my units use plant sale proceeds.
All this being said, or written, each MG program is run in a manner often unique to it's state and even it's county. So while the MG program is nationwide it's administered at the state level and overseen by the local extension agent, if there is one.
Don't know if this helps or just muddies the water,

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 6:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curdog007

Seems that you see it the way I see it. I just didn't know if there was a national bylaw hidden under a rock some where.
Thanks
Lynn

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Unknown Plant
This Plant grows pretty wild down the street and one...
Grief_Tactic
watering and soil
I have a question about the cause of a layer of green...
oopsadaisy00
Just too many changes! Do any of you get burned out on MG???
OK, I have posted on here before, but after 13 years...
ltcollins1949
Is it worth it?
Hello Master Gardeners, I have a passion for gardening...
gardenfan
Definition of 'habit klr'?
Didn't know where to post this... What does 'habit...
gardenweb88
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Mushroom 2 ft. x 3
Home Depot
Iittala | Birds by Toikka, Red Cardinal
YLiving.com
Picnic at Ascot B.B.Q. Stainless Steel Master Grill Tools
Overstock.com
Stone Hook
Grandin Road
Mondo Maxi Wall Sconce by Oggetti Luce
$814.00 | Lumens