Dang crows! I hope they choke!

wertach zone 7-B SCOctober 1, 2012

My Fava beans are sprouting and a few were peaking through the dirt yesterday. When I got home from work today the crows were having a feast. GGGGGRRRRRR!

They seemed to be taunting me, standing there with beans as big as their head in their mouths. I nailed 4 with my shotgun (3 in the air) before the rest got away. I probably would have gotten more but I only had 4 shells.

It may seem gruesome to some but I have 4 crows hanging on poles to hopefully scare the others away.

The deer are next................... HEE HEE!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

Maybe cover up the rows with a light mulch? If they can't see the sprouts from the trees they'll be less likely to go after them, IME.

They sure can do a lot of damage. Sounds like you need a scarecrow, maybe one holding a shotgun, aye?

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 7:47AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Chicken wire tunnels aka pea guards work well. The problem I get is wood pigeons eating pea seedlings. Mice eat the favas but only the beans, not the shoots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea guard

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 1:44PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

"Sounds like you need a scarecrow, maybe one holding a shotgun, aye?" LOL

The real scare crows, dead hanging on the poles, seems to be working. But they smell pretty bad! LOL

I haven't saw a crow or any other bird in the garden after I hung them up!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:40PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

i put shiny cd discs all around the plants, some swinging from twine and others lying on the ground shiny side up, around the plants. works everytime.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 11:47AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I second using cd disks, works like a charm for me too, that is when I remember to do it :).

Annette

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:35PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Sadly, I haven't found CDs very effective against my pigeon predators. Only a physical barrier stops them. Even netting must be high and taut or they just sit on it, weighing it down until the plants poke through the holes!

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:05AM
oldpea(8)

I've had success with camouflage. Birds just sit right next to the spinning, shining disks and peck away.
I just sprinkle anything green- grass, leaves, etc. down the row after planting, making the new sprouts less obvious. Repeat until sprouts are bigger and less tempting.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 9:07PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

oldpea - I think you have something there. I tried using bolted kale plants laid over a row of pea seedlings last year. It was quite effective. And now I have a row of baby kale plants growing which I didn't need to sow.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:13AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

The survivors are about 8" tall now. The crows got about 1/3 of them or I had some that didn't sprout. Enough to eat.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™