johns polish purple pole bean

rxkeith(z5 MI)October 20, 2012

i got this one from tom tjg911, and grew it this year.

i was expecting a purple bean, but it was a yellow flat pod bean, that developed some purple streaking as it matured. pod size is about 5 inches long. the seeds are purple hence the name of the bean, and has a splash of white on the back of the bean. seed size is about the same as a pinto bean. anybody grown it? i have asked tom for more info on the bean, but haven't heard back yet. he may be taking a break from gardening/forums based on his last post on a different forum. its hard to judge days to maturity based on one growing season. the beans i started in doors were all late producing due to a early june heat wave shortly after planting outside that just stopped everything from growing for 3 weeks or so. i was able to save a small amount of seed, so i will be growing it again next year for sure.

keith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

While I haven't grown "Johns Polish Purple", the description sounds very much like another bean I grew in 2008, "Olteanu's Romanian Yellow". It too has yellow pods with the characteristics you describe, and shiny purple seeds with white blotches. In size, shape, and appearance, the beans look somewhat like a purple version of "Calypso". It was actually sent to me as a runner bean, probably because of the purple color; but the emergent cotyledons & flower structure identify it as P. vulgaris.

The variety didn't leave a very good impression with me. I found the pod taste & texture to be inferior, and the dry seed yield was small. But then, it was grown in the worst location in my least fertile plot. I hope to give it a better evaluation soon, in my more fertile rural plot.

I realize this may not have answered your question, Keith. Is it possible to post a photo of the seed?

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 1:25AM
rxkeith(z5 MI)

i am a technological neanderthal as far as posting pictures.
i haven't seen a bean this shade of purple before, with the white splotch being on the upper back of the bean almost like a cap. flavor was pretty good. tom seemed to like it.
i have a few seeds to spare if interested.

keith

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:52PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Here's a picture of John's Polish Purple Pod.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 1:47PM

... that should read John's Polish Purple Pole Bean, brain and fingers don't seem to be co-operating at the moment:(.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™