What bean is this?

kchd(7b/8a MS)October 18, 2013

This may be a long shot, but I'll ask it anyway.

This bean was found growing in a garden near Boone, NC. It is a pole bean. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Looks like a runner bean, probably Scarlet Runner or something similar. The location is a bit surprising, though, since runner beans tend to set pods poorly in warmer climates. Until pods set, the vines will bloom all Summer, and their red flowers are attractive. Were there flowers visible when the bean was picked?

Runner beans even have trouble setting pods in my Wisconsin summers, until the heat drops to the lower 70's for a couple days. The long, frost-less Fall we've had up here has produced a bumper crop of pods... with frost finally coming tonight, I picked the vines bare, and got a bucket full.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 2:24AM
kchd(7b/8a MS)

Thanks for the info, zeedman. I can tell you that Boone has a climate that is far cooler and less humid than the rest of the southeast US because of its location in the Appalachian Mtns. It's winters are long and cold, too.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:36AM
florauk(8/9)

I'm curious about the choice of coin for scale. Has NC adopted the Euro ;-)?

Also interested in the statement 'Until pods set, the vines will bloom all Summer...' That is a real contrast to their behaviour here. They set pods immediately they start blooming in our cool climate and if you don't pick them they stop producing.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 6:35AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Flora, runners blooming for most of the summer is fairly common here, with the brief springs & hot summers of an inland continental climate. If we have a cool summer, or at least a week-long cool spell, then the vines might set enough pods to shorten the blooming period.

That was not the case this year. Other than a one-day departure into the low 70's (which allowed a few pods to set) blossoms dropped until September - and the vines bloomed until frost. The pods I get here are not the beautiful long pods you get in a maritime climate, either... they are usually short, with only 2-3 seeds. Only a fair dry-seed yield this year, but a lot of late set pods for snaps & shellies.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™