Succession Planting

brgcuviJanuary 25, 2014

Wondering if anyone might share their succession planting plans? I'm working on the final garden layout and am getting a bit hung up on what to rotate after what. Would love to hear your what has worked for you all in the past.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_minnie(zone 4a)

What zone are you in?

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 8:45PM
brgcuvi

Hello!

I'm in 6b. I understand that everyones succession planting will vary by region, use/non-use of season extending hoop houses/row covers/etc and may not be applicable to my situation. However, am hoping I'll find some direction along the way : )

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 8:50PM
boulderbelt(5/6)

get the book "The New Organic Grower" by Eliot Coleman, it has an entire chapter devoted to succession planting including a chart of how far apart the successions need to be according to time of year and crop.

For example, salad mix/cut and come again lettuce is planted at 4 week intervals in the fall but by April you would be planting the same crop about every 4 days.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 4:10AM
brgcuvi

Ironically, I ordered that book (and a couple of others I found suggested in other posts) at the library yesterday. Should be in from a neighboring town in a few days.

I believe I have my dates/timing pretty well laid out. What I'm having a harder time deciding is what crop to follow with what. Ie. Spring cabbage bed goes into summer squash then back to fall cabbage, etc.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 8:52AM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I could give all my info but I doubt it would be helpful to anyone not way up north. Johnny's has great interactive tools to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny's charts

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 5:21PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

This is the chart I made up for my area.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 5:38PM
joeyvegies

I have found Pam Dawling's Sustainable Market
Farming to be the most useful guide to succession planting. She has a lot of information about fine tuning timing. I am learning it can be confusing especially when growing times speed up in the heat.

But are you more curious about the rotation part perhaps? Like which crops do well before and after others? Dawling's book has recommendations for this too but as she says it can be like Vegetable Sudoku finding a spot for everything. I am mostly just trying to keep the plant families 3 crops away from each other, so your cabbage shouldn't cycle back into that bed until after another few crops.

Unfortunately my plan isn't in any easy to share format yet. I do like Coleman's idea of doing the plan on index cards but I just use a pencil and a lot of erasing.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 4:54AM
mdfarmer

I also like Pam Dawling's book, I think it's the most useful market farming book that I own.

I'm trying to be more organized this year myself, and I've got an enormous headache trying to come up with a plan for the growing season. Johnny's has a number of interactive tools that I'm trying to use, including a Succession Planting Schedule spreadsheet. I'm including a link to the Interactive Tools section of their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny's Interactive Tools

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 4:07PM
joeyvegies

Yes Dawling's book is the one I keep close by for frequent use. And it inspired me to knuckle down and create the necessary spreadsheets. The Johnnys tools didn't work that well for me but I adapted the ones that go with Crop Planning for Organic Vegetable Growers, another great book. Though i must admit i have been winging it a bit with successions.

You can download the spreadsheets which might make sense even without the book.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crop planning spreadsheets

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 6:53AM
More Discussions
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
Wanted: 4 row seeder
I'm in the market for a 4 row pinpoint seeder, the...
sundacks
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™