Storing bean and pea seed

naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)October 27, 2011

I just read an email from Johnny's Selected Seed encouraging customers to buy seeds soon at 2011 prices. It included this advice:

"Except for peas and beans, which need open air, seeds may be stored in a jar with a lid."

I had not heard before that peas and beans needed open air. Have you found that they do not store well in sealed containers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyday(WI4a)

All seeds are alive, and are very slowly using carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen to remain alive. Maybe since beans and peas are such big seed, if you keep them airtight, they suffer. I have never heard a seed company say that beans and peas need open air.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:32PM
noinwi

I kept my Scarlet Runners Beans in a dark glass vitamin bottle in the kitchen all winter and they grew fine this season. I have more harvested this year so I was thinking of using a canning jar with a plastic lid for storage, or would a plastic baggie be better?

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 11:55PM
macmex

Their advice is probably good. But I do know that I've stored bean & pea seed in canning jars with screw on rings and lids, and that seed was good for years.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 1:46PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I have stored them in sealed baggies, jars with tight lids, never had a problem.

When I was cleaning out my late Dads freezer last winter, I found baggies with beans and peas that were labeled as such and such seed for planting. The hand writing was unmistakably my Mom's, She died in 1998. I had excellent germination on all of them! But I'm just an old man...not an expert.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 3:33PM
drloyd

I store my bean and pea seed in plastic bags and they do fine. Bill Best talks about airtight containers and the video of him shows seed in an airtight plastic tub.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 9:17PM
happyday(WI4a)

I store mine in plastic bags. Some things to remember are, get them good and dry before bagging, then keep them cool and dry. Keep out of sun or heat. If you freeze them, when you take them out of the freezer, wrap the bag or bottle in a towel and let the whole thing thaw to room temperature before opening it, so condensation from the air does not get sealed into the bag.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 9:26PM
drloyd

Happyday that is a good point. I put them in a dry place until late December and then they go in the bags. - Dick

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 9:58AM
Coconut_Head(5b)

I am storing my bean seeds this winter in a canning jar with the ring but instead of a lid I have a coffee filter. The ring still goes on fine and I think the coffee filter will let some air move through without letting anything else really get into the seeds. I'll let you know if I have any germination problems. Also I think this might help if I end up having a little too much moisture left in the seeds, it can still escape.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 2:56PM
springlift34

Dear wertach,

That was a really cool post man.

Take care,
Travis

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 9:33AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

My Mom would be proud Travis, She loved to garden. Miss her badly.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 4:09PM
jolj(7b/8a)

wertach, my brother lives at home with my mother, now that our father has passed.
He still put seeds in the freezer, just as my dad did for over 40 years that I know of.
I keep mine in zip baggies, can,paper bags, all in a cardboard
box in a cool place.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 7:04PM
fusion_power

Beans and peas fall into the 55 55 rule. 55 degrees and 55 percent relative humidity. This will keep them for up to 3 years with very high germination. They do fine if fully dried and frozen in a deep freezer for up to 10 years.

DarJones

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Perplexed by these peas!
Please help me save these peas! I was gifted germinating...
winorchids
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™