Worchester beans?

rosieo(7 NC)October 10, 2013

A very nice gentleman at our farmers market had some unique beans I've never seen before. The pods were long and fat, with vivid pink/red streaky colors. They shelled out easily, and the beans were large and brightly colored the same as the pod. They made a good tasting pot of beans with a creamy bean liquor. The beans were big and the shelling went quick, so it didn't take long to shell enough for dinner.

The next week I went back and begged him for some seeds and now I have them. He told me they were very old and not sold commercially anymore. I couldn't find anything by googling them. On the bag he wrote Wochester Shelly. Anybody ever heard of Wochester or Worchester beans? Or is there a better way it should be spelled? We're in Boone NC, if that might help anybody identify it.
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drloyd

In the past SSE has had listings for a Lima bean called Worchester Indian Red Pole: "Deep reddish purple or maroon bean; about the midway size between Fordhook Baby Lima and the large varieties., Reputed to come from Virginia but previous origin uncertain; a few Native American tribes had lima bean varieties ultimately obtained via Mexico."

Nothing under Wochester.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 9:35AM
rosieo(7 NC)

Thank you drloyd. I found those in several seed catalogs, as well as on dave's, but they're a lima. According to their description they have a lima shaped pod with 2 beans per pod. Mine have a long round colorful pod with 6 or more round beans in them. But thank you for trying. Next year I'll get some photos of them, maybe that will help me identify them. Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 10:42AM
drloyd

Perhaps one of us will recognize them under another name. Dick

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 11:19AM
rodger(8SC)

I would guess they are a type of October bean, you can do a search for Oct bean and find lots of info. They are used in the fresh shelly stage or dry stage and are usually planted in July for Oct harvest. These beans will grow well in heat but only produce in cool nights which is why they are grown for a fall crop and called Oct beans. Don't confuse these with Fall beans which are a different shaped bean. Most oct beans look like cranberry beans or pinto beans. Hope this helps Rodger
PS by chance were you in Mineral Va. a couple of weeks ago for the SSE regional meet.?

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 2:39AM
blueflint(z6a OH)

The only Worcester bean I am familiar with has a light yellow kidney shaped bean with no markings, bush plant with small runners.

Your bean sounds like so many horticultural beans that were grown by various Native American groups, many referred to as October beans, used as a fresh shell or dry bean. Such as Mohawk Bush, Six Nations, Speckled Algonquin, Seneca Stripe, etc.

They are all great soup beans, enjoy them.

Tony

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™