Acer griseum, Paperback Maple

nokiMarch 25, 2007

My local good nursery has Acer griseum, but they are very thin around 7 foot high sticks with minimal branching. Like reddish toothpicks for $79.

They have a few much more developed trees for a higher price in huge very heavy pots (would need a huge hole!), but I would rather have a younger tree anyway. I'm just having trouble imagining how these delicate long toothpicks turn into thicker trunked, even multitrunked broad trees not much taller. Is this normal to start out with a thin 7 foot trunk like this with Acer griseum?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Not a rare item. Keep looking.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 1:55PM
noki

So I assume that such leggy/thin caliper Paperback Maples are not normal, or at least harder to train into a nice trunk and branching.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 3:49PM
mattlwfowler

From what I've heard, Acer griseum is almost always grown from seed. This would imply that there are significant variations in shape and size with these trees. However, I would guess that the tall skinny look is a result of over fertilization and/or growing the trees too close together at a young age.

I would personally keep looking because although the trees might fill out, I think you should be able to find a better deal than that.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 6:32PM
kvolk(5aUt)

Be prepared to pay for it whatever size. I believe that my A. griseum is the most expensive tree that I have ever bought.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 6:39PM
picea(6A Cinci- Oh)

For this time of year that is likely a fair retail price. What you could do is wait until the end of the season and see if it goes on sale. Acer Griseum is an ugly duckling at that age and many people don't know what it is or it true potential so it may go unsold. I picked up a similar shaped BB for $10 that was ragged but definately alive. David

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 9:11PM
acernut(z8b CenTX)

My little potted griseums are several years old and only about 4 feet tall... very straight and skinny... and not heavily fertilized at all. Prob not enough.

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Best Mail Order Nurseries for Japanese Maples
I would like to order a few Japanese Maple trees but...
alameda/zone 8
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™