Green Weeping lace leaf maples

ricksample(6)March 11, 2013

What would you consider some of the best in terms of looks and able to handle full sun in zone 5/6 Northeast Ohio? I was leaning towards Acer palmatum 'Viridis' or 'Waterfall'.

I found out the hard way a couple years ago that a lot of the generic Japanese maples fry in full sun. I know these maples like to grow under taller trees, but I'm wondering if some of the green ones are able to handle full sun. I have some that seem to do fine in full sun, they do fry a little come the middle of August, but otherwise ok. I need a replacement for Acer palmatum 'Autumn Moon'. Over the past 2 years it has fried to a krisp... but still puts out nice growth and looks good until July. I don't have any shade so I can't really transplant it anywhere.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

There are a number of cultivars of Japaqnese maples that are recognized to do well in full sun providing they don't experience extreme heat or drought at the same time. True 'generic' Japanese maples - the straight species Acer palmatum - is one such selection. Green leaves but not weeping and not heavily dissected or laceleaf. 'Waterfall' is on the list. I would include 'Viridis' as well - it is not a recognized name but is applied generally to any not otherwise named green laceleaf.

'Autumn Moon' is not a true Japanese maple (Acer shirasawanum) and its very light, nearly yellow foliage does not tolerate full sun well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun tolerant Japanese maples

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:40PM
smcstl

Autumn Moon needs shade. I am in zone 6 and my autumn moon maple is in 80% shade.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:44AM
ja-gardener(5)

How about Acer japonicum 'Green cascade' - One of my favorites with AWESOME fall color.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Green leaf Japanese maple

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Kelp treatment effective for sugar maple?
One of our mature sugar maples has been struggling...
ruckusev
School me on transplanting a med/large Cascading JM
I have a chance to save a JM I know little about. Looks...
missrivka
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™