Need advice on how to prune a younger maple tree

ncguy32March 2, 2008

I have two young maple trees on my property. The trees were not cared for by the previous owner so now I am stuck with two trees that do not have a "central leader". I realize it is too late to correct that, I also realize I need to remove the mulch away from the runk and expose the root flare. What I don't know is what lower branches on the trees need to be pruned off so as to help train the tree take on a proper healthy structure as it matures. Problem is I don't know how to determine what limbs need to be cut off and I can't really afford to pay a professional to come in to do the job. Like I said above, I know it is too late to establish a central leader, but in light of that, what branches should I prune off these two trees? Can somebody give some advice to a newbie? Below are some pictures of the two trees in question. Any help would be greatly apprecaited! :)

Thanks!

Tree #1

Tree #1 Close-up

Tree #2

Tree #2 Close-up

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myersphcf(z6a IL)

Your tree looks great there is no right or wrong form of JM..that being said ( to may make mowing easier) i would cut off all the vertical very low branches ( two on right one on left) As well as any other lower ones that seem to be ( but it's hard to tell ) ;>) coming out in mass along with a much larger branch or where a branch that was cut ...just keep the biggest one in a branch forest. Otherwise i wouldn't mess with it ...
I have no idea where you be from but if still cold there and dormant you'd better get going if you want to do it now ...or wait til next fall after leaf drop David

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Hello Folks. The journey begins.
Big hello to you all. I have just moved to lovely property...
mapleface
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Sponsored Products
Campaign Planter
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
Megan Duncanson 'Full Moon' Metal Wall Art
Overstock.com
Jane Seymour Lavendar Phalaenopsis Orchid 19H in. Silk Flower Arrangement Multic
$70.00 | Hayneedle
New Round Peshawar Art Aqua Blue Chobi Hand Knotted Wool Oriental Rug H6040
BH Sun Inc
Huge Owl Tree Wall Decal
$14.99 | zulily
6 ft Bamboo Palm Silk Tree
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™