Requesting planting advice for Acer ginnala (amur maple)

kiddo_1(NE OH 5)March 28, 2009

Hello. I've not posted on this particular GW forum before but just know you will have good advice for me! :-D

Today I stumbled upon a nice deal on some 12" Amur Maples in a local discount store. They are in 4x4" cartons (about 10" deep). Don't know if they are grown from seeds or are rooted cuttings - all the text is in Spanish! Anyway, they are packed 2 to a carton and I bought 5 cartons.

In my NE Ohio zone 5, I should be able to plant them right into the ground now? Or should I put them into 2-gal pots and let them get more roots (because they sure don't have many at this point).

Also, when I do plant or pot them, should I put 1 to a planting, or should I put 2 so I can get more stems.

I've wanted amur maples for many years, but could never afford them before and this seems like a perfect opportunity to create a large shady area in a relatively short time. (That is assuming, like most maples, these will grow quickly).

I appreciate any advice and help. Thanks very much! :-D

Kris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Ordinarily getting back into the ground would be a better situation for them. A very hardy tree/shrub, cold probably not a problem for them now even there. And plants in pots are more vulnerable to cold than those in the ground.

This is an early-leafing tree, you should see some green fairly soon. Some upright forms, possible hybrids with Tatarian maple are offered by a few wholesale nurseries. You might get an upright habit if you have one of these types, otherwise allow for low, quite wide-spreading crowns of long, straight branches.

All will branch and bulk up with age, making planting two together probably unnecessary - and might produce a bothersome clutter later.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 9:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kiddo_1(NE OH 5)

Thank you, bboy. I'll plant them separately. I certainly don't want to create any clutter. :-D
Kris

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™