yellow plants

flowergirl70ksMay 21, 2009

Lots of plants in my yard are rapidly turning yellow. Such as, daylilies, iberis, roses, coral bells, and so forth. I think it's from the crazy weather. We had April in February here and then it got cold again. Lots of things froze in March(3 days of in the 20's ) I'm at a loss of what to do for these plants. a friend thinks a little nitrogen would help, but in all my years of gardening,(59 years) I've never had this happen before. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueheron(z6 PA)

I think you're probably right - the crazy weather has affected your plants.

Too much rain can cause yellowing of leaves. Or, when the soil is cold, plants can't access the nutrients they need.

In shrubs like azaleas and rhododendrons, yellowing of leaves denotes a lack of iron. When this happens, iron chelate is applied to the plant and it does the trick.

I think as the weather warms up, your plants will be fine. You might want to side dress the plants with fertilizer (I use dehydrated cow manure) when the weather warms up and they start growing at a faster rate. I wouldn't add it yet, though. The plants are stressed and you don't want to add fertilizer at this time.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
watering and soil
I have a question about the cause of a layer of green...
oopsadaisy00
veritas
I was watching a tv program and dont know if this is...
oorah
my rant about rude MG's
i certainly hope it isnt like this everywhere but a...
bluetruck99
I'm excited, I just registered for the course!
Hi everyone, I'm really excited, I just registered...
nannerbelle
Walnut tree mulch
We had a walnut tree in our back yard, we have had...
Gardner2013
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™