Japanese Maples and Spokane WA (z-5)

SlugUgh(z8 WA)March 1, 2007

We are about to move from Seattle to Spokane...I have 23 Japanese Maples, of which I will only take 12. (The other 12 are planted in the ground, and I will leave them with the new owners of my garden)...

Can other Spokane gardeners tell me how JM do in Spokane? If they will not do well, I will give them away.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Heat, spring frosts and alkaline soils or irrigation water could all be problems. A heavily irrigated, humid yard would get better results than one that is not, you see marked differences in summer condition of Japanese maples due to watering practices even here on this side of the Cascades.

When I was at Washington State University in Pullman, south of Spokane the only Cornus florida - another rainy summer climate tree - I saw was in a planter surrounded by water and walls.

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 4:37PM
SlugUgh(z8 WA)

Thanks for your response bboy!

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 5:45PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

My mother grew a few Japanese Maples in Millwood, just east of Spokane. They grew alright, but not as nice as they would have here.
Acid fertilizer and rainwater might improve their growing a bit. Prune for heavy ice and snowloads. Cold might be an issue with some, so a protected spot might be preferred.

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 10:40AM
acernut(z8b CenTX)

> Heat, spring frosts and alkaline soils or irrigation water could all be problems. In Central Texas we experience 3 of the 4 (I'll let you guess ;-) , and prob to greater extremes than Spokane. With care most JM cultivars survive, granted most don't thrive like they would in Seattle.

Can't imagine giving up on JMs, though. :-)

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 12:24AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sunset Western Garden Book (Sunset Publishing, 2001), which has Japanese maple zoned for the area including Spokane, provides this discussion:

"Grafted garden varieties are popular, but common seedlings have uncommon grace and usefulness; they are more rugged, faster growing, more drought tolerant, and they stand more sun and wind than named forms do. Japanese maples thrive everywhere in the Northwest, where they make good small street trees. They can be grown with success in California if given shelter from hot, dry or constant winds. Filtered shade is best, but full sun can be satisfactory. In California, consider the local soil and water; wherever azaleas are difficult to grow and suffer from salt buildup in the soil, Japanese maples will show burn on leaf edges. Give same watering treatment as azaleas--flood occasionally to leach out salts."

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 11:23AM
grantman

I gave my aunt a seedling of 'Sango Kaku' the red twigged JM.
She lives in Spangle just south of Spokane. I worried about winter-kill as this area may experience strong wind and subzero temperatures.
The first year it lost significant wood but it came back strong and is now doing well. I would recommend mulch and perhaps a burlap wrap for the first winter. Planting near mature trees to shelter may help as well. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Hello Folks. The journey begins.
Big hello to you all. I have just moved to lovely property...
mapleface
Is the trunk on my maple tree rotting?
About 3 years ago we had an early snow and the center...
sands4us
Need help identifying a mislabeled JM
This Japanese Maple I bought was labeled Aconitifolium....
krisgm
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks5022004
Sponsored Products
Toto | Legato Ceiling-Mount Showerhead with LED Lighting
$1,233.10 | YBath
Joy Carpets Wild America Kids Area Rug - 1499-C
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Prescott II Peruvian Bronze Outdoor Wall Mount
$95.40 | Bellacor
Elba 12 Light Candle Chandelier
$1,295.80 | Bludot
Mini Bridgeport Pendant by Tech Lighting
$232.00 | Lumens