Planting "Bloodgood" near retaining wall

dwpc(8a - N Arizona)March 30, 2013

I need to plant a Bloodgood close to a 5 ft high cement block retaining wall. The tree will be in the raised area) The container is 18" dia,(15 gal.) so I could go as close as 9" but I don't want to have a problem with the wall later. The garden space is somewhat tight and I want to have as much clearance between the tree and patio as I can get to allow for growth. I note that the established pyracantha, junipers, and nandina in this raised area that were planted right against the wall years ago by the previous owner are large and healthy.

2nd question; should I do any pruning on the Bloodgood now (it's just leafed out) or wait until next winter?

This post was edited by dwpc on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 11:17

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Do I understand you to say the 'Bloodgood' will be planted on top of the retaining wall? If so, the consideration of how successful that might be will based on the strength and structural integrity of the wall.

Otherwise, planting the tree close to the wall is not a problem - you just want to make sure nothing really obstructs the topgrowth or canopy spread.

Generally JM's require minimal pruning, especially when newly planted. You may need to thin gently as time goes on and can remove dead wood at any time or conflicting branching. It would really help to see a photo to determine if any pruning is needed at this time.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 1:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dwpc(8a - N Arizona)

Thanks. The wall has been in place 30+ years and, until Friday, there was a tree-sized pyracantha in the spot where the maple will go.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™