whats wrong with these maples

clancy87(8)March 25, 2014

I have around 6 2 to 3ft UK's I planted in my garden last year. The other four are planted beside each other in a raised bed. The other 2 a katsura and a butterfly bush are planted in a normal bed. The two I mentioned started to leaf out about a month ago and we're looking great, but now the leafs to me look like they are dying back and shrivling back up. The others are all coming along great so im stumped to what's going on. There in a semi sheltered area and planted in a sandy loan bonsai soil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clancy87(8)

Katsura

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 2:06PM
clancy87(8)

Butterfly bush

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 2:08PM
eibren(z6PA)

How moist is the soil? They could just be drying up as it gets warmer, especially as you have sandy soil in a raised bed. They probably haven't had a chance to put down many roots yet.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 2:22PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The final two pictures are the same.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 1:55AM
clancy87(8)

Hi sorry was in a bit of a rush when i wrote this post. I will get another couple of photos up soon but as you can see my cameras not the best.

Sorry eibren. I meant to say the ones in the raised bed are fine, its the ones that are just planted in the ground that are dying back. Your right with the roots though, they were not very established when i planted them. I live in Scotland therefore we at least have rain every other day so the soils always moist. The only thing i can really think of is the past week we had a couple of days bad morning frost the sun all day. could it be they have been sun scorched.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 3:28AM
maple_grove_gw

Bad morning frost would do it, particularly if it got down to mid 20s F...

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 10:50AM
clancy87(8)

Yeah its frost damage. Seeing it all over now, everything's growing to early because its really mild here. I have 5 different maples and 20 seedlings growing about 2 meters away from these 2 and all of them are fine. I am baffled. Anyways thanks again for your help guys.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 3:00AM
More Discussions
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™